Jacin's Poultry 2022

Pics
I didn't realized that I was @ on this post! So interesting to see your flock. Looks like the cold gets to your rooster/chickens that have huge combs. At best, here in CA, the comb turns temporarily black when it gets very cold, but it's probably not cold like your snow cold. We do have freeze days in the valley, but it's not too often. Keep posting images of your flock!
Nope, ours turn black, then yellow, then dead. Hence my internal dilema:
"To dub, or not to dub, that is the question" (Shakespur's play, "Henelton").

I'll deal with combs, its frostbit feet I have huge problems with (already lost 2 to that, and we still have almist 3 months to go) unfortunately.

Also no spilling the beans on one of the mystery chicks. You probably know from a different thread what the 14 are, but no one on here does

Last edited:
Mixed flock pictures!

Close up of Romero, Ambrose's son
View attachment 2948423
Sydney the EE and Jezebelle the Spitzhauben Mix
View attachment 2948424
One of my TSC Mystery Pullets. Apart from having an extra toe, I would almost think she's an Ayam Cemani
View attachment 2948425
Effie, one of the Silver Spitzhaubens.
View attachment 2948426
Group Photo of Ambrose, Romero, the Pheonix male, a Mystery Pullet, Trinket the other spitzhauben, Walnut the Pheonix mix and the white Pheonix hen.
View attachment 2948427
TSC's chicks come from Hoover Hatchery. The black one looks like: Mystic Onyx

https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html

TSC's chicks come from Hoover Hatchery. The black one looks like: Mystic Onyx

https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html
That's what im pretty sure on, the problem is her 3 siblings dont match anything they sell. Nothing is close to Big Boy weight gain rate wise, and they assured me (a bit rudely in my opinion) that their mystic onyx have dark skin and only black feathers for the females, which means Big Boy, and 2 of the 3 sisters dont match that one

That's what im pretty sure on, the problem is her 3 siblings dont match anything they sell. Nothing is close to Big Boy weight gain rate wise, and they assured me (a bit rudely in my opinion) that their mystic onyx have dark skin and only black feathers for the females, which means Big Boy, and 2 of the 3 sisters dont match that one
Either way, I love those 4. Not the friendliest hens, but for his size, Big Boy is quite tolerant of me and one hen did try to go broody already. The 5 toed black one will be paired with my Mosaic mix next spring and the others might be paired with Big Boy. Haven't decided yet

Show more current photos? You know, the thing with Hoover or any hatchery is that they are focused on hatching chicks, quality comes 2nd. With breeds like the mystic, it's a hybrid or mix breed that they just coined the word for it. There's no set standard for their creations as they mix A + B and it doesn't always = C of their description. That's why it doesn't match anything. It's their speciality mutt. Every hatchery has their own.

One of my local feedstore ships in THOUSANDS of chickens monthly starting 2nd week of February. It's ridiculous how many chicks they sell, and they get their chicks from the general hatcheries: Privett, Ideal, Belt Hatchery, etc. I don't think they order from Cackle or Mypetchicken as sometimes the prices on those are higher than the cheaper hatcheries.

Then we have some other local feedstores that only carry from Belt Hatchery (it's our local CA hatchery that just sell your common chicks) and their staff knows NOTHING about chickens/chicks, etc. Those feedstores barely move any chicks. You'll find 3-4 week old chicks in their brooder boxes, lol.

Show more current photos? You know, the thing with Hoover or any hatchery is that they are focused on hatching chicks, quality comes 2nd. With breeds like the mystic, it's a hybrid or mix breed that they just coined the word for it. There's no set standard for their creations as they mix A + B and it doesn't always = C of their description. That's why it doesn't match anything. It's their speciality mutt. Every hatchery has their own.

One of my local feedstore ships in THOUSANDS of chickens monthly starting 2nd week of February. It's ridiculous how many chicks they sell, and they get their chicks from the general hatcheries: Privett, Ideal, Belt Hatchery, etc. I don't think they order from Cackle or Mypetchicken as sometimes the prices on those are higher than the cheaper hatcheries.

Then we have some other local feedstores that only carry from Belt Hatchery (it's our local CA hatchery that just sell your common chicks) and their staff knows NOTHING about chickens/chicks, etc. Those feedstores barely move any chicks. You'll find 3-4 week old chicks in their brooder boxes, lol.
Not supet recent pictures, the females all got hit hard molting so theure skinny and ragged now.

Here's Big Boy. He's at least 7 pounds, and built like a bowling ball. Yellow legs and pale flesh.
20210929_094204.jpg

20211109_101610.jpg

(Back large female) My Closest Mystic Onyx. Black feathering, black/mulberry skin, 5 toes on one foot, 4 on the other
(Front large female) Yellow legs, norn flesh, 5 toes on one foot, 4 on the other
20210901_105451.jpg

The 3rd female, who had gone broody: bronze necklacing, black skin, pinkish yellow legs 4 toes on both feet
20210626_101400.jpg

Not supet recent pictures, the females all got hit hard molting so theure skinny and ragged now.

Here's Big Boy. He's at least 7 pounds, and built like a bowling ball. Yellow legs and pale flesh.
View attachment 2964892
View attachment 2964891

(Back large female) My Closest Mystic Onyx. Black feathering, black/mulberry skin, 5 toes on one foot, 4 on the other
(Front large female) Yellow legs, norn flesh, 5 toes on one foot, 4 on the other
View attachment 2964893
The 3rd female, who had gone broody: bronze necklacing, black skin, pinkish yellow legs 4 toes on both feet
View attachment 2964894
Is Big boy from Hoover/TSC as well?

Yep. All 4 came from the same bin. St run, no labling for breed.
The black hen with red combs reminds me of Asian black. I'm thinking that your big boy might be the same breed. I can't think of any other breeds that may look like him. Did he grow out pretty fast? The Asian black are like the meat chicken, but more targeted towards the size/weight that asians prefer compared to your regular broiler chicken (Foster Farm/Tyson, etc). Good meat, but less breast meat.

The black hen with red combs reminds me of Asian black. I'm thinking that your big boy might be the same breed. I can't think of any other breeds that may look like him. Did he grow out pretty fast? The Asian black are like the meat chicken, but more targeted towards the size/weight that asians prefer compared to your regular broiler chicken (Foster Farm/Tyson, etc). Good meat, but less breast meat.
Yep, he had the appetite of a meay bird. Id think they were both Asians, but the female has an extra toe on one foot just like my all black one. There's nothing in the Asian black background that has extra toes

Back
Top Bottom