Jacin's Poultry 2022

Pics
Yep, he had the appetite of a meay bird. Id think they were both Asians, but the female has an extra toe on one foot just like my all black one. There's nothing in the Asian black background that has extra toes
With chick hatching, there's always variables. Some chickens may be born with special needs or born with extra something. Cross beak, cataracts in the eye, etc. Extra toe due to too closely related relatives when breeding/mating, all sorts of magical stuff can happen. You don't see 5 toes too often. Dorkings, Silkies and Favorelles comes to mind. There are probably other breeds as well. Many of these breeds are a combination of breeding A to B. Genetics in chicken is crazy as well. Sometimes it takes generation down before something pops up again.

Someone else had "Asian Black" chicks with extra toes back in 2020, but apparently no-one knew anything about the matter then either:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/asian-black-chicks-with-5-toe-gene.1370546/

:idunno
Interesting. I could see having 2 ABs and 2 MOs, thr coloring on the one still is causing issues though. I get that A+B doesn't always equal C with hatchery mixes, but I was "assured" that MO females would never have any color besides black feathering. Considering that the mix was brand new last year, if it wasn't actually guaranteed, I think they should have been a bit less rude about it

BTW, some people put vaseline on combs, feet, etc. to condition feet and manage scaly leg mites. I'm too lazy, I just spray on food cooking oil as needed. It gives a nice sparkly shine and moisturizes the feet.

I
Suggest getting breed that have feathered foot? Cochins, Marans, silkies, etc. If you do have any, does it make any difference?
Do have lots with feathered feet (Gold neck D'uccles, mixed color silkies and mixed color cochins). Main Problem is that it appears to be genetic in terms of severity, with my NN being the main evidence. My birds either lose a toenail or a knuckle at the time, depending on how stupid they are about standing in the water, or they lose most/all of their foot in a few months.

Plus, I'm picky about the birds I have, and i just don't want a ton that look the same. The only ones I have that are identicalish are a pair of orpington pullets, a pair of spitzhauben hens and a pair of isabel leghorn pullets. Even my sebrights and cornish are all different looking for the same pattern.

I have considered working on featherlegged varieties of some of the breeds i like, like pheonixes, but it wouldn't be practical for others, like my cornish and NNs

Back
Top Bottom