JACK? General questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by artsy1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    O.k. so let me get this straight.
    A male jack--- "donkey" guards a flock of chickens from coyotes?
    What the heck? I have never heard of this. Do they bother the chickens and do they rid all the predators?
    Is this a common knowledge thing? do all farmers know this?
    I am such a city girl.
    If I move to the country, would this be a wise decision, to get a jack?
    Now I know that a dog would guard a flock, but what other animals do this also.
    How the heck do they catch the coyotes? I think a jack would be so slow.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:A jack is fast and a very good way to protect sheep and goats, IF they think the sheep and goats are part of the herd. They stomp the coyotes to death.

Sometimes guard donkeys don't recognize brand new lambs and kids as part of the herd and can kill them, though.

3. Haviris2

Haviris2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Personally I would prefer a jenny over a jack (and yes, donkeys are very fast).

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I prefer dogs over equines for protection over a flock. That's just personal opinion, but they are better for a wide range of predators, and not just coyotes. Coyotes are only one out of many, many predators we have out here in the country.

5. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Donkeys are very fast, and relentless when it comes to defending themselves/their "herd" whatever that "herd" may be.

I could share a very interesting story about an old neighbor of my grandfathers, the nieghbors Jack donkey and ANOTHER neighbors bothersome german shepherd, but I think you can get the basic Idea :hmm

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Donkeys just naturally hate varmits. This can include dogs, coyotes, raccoons.......anything. I had 2 jacks with a herd of cattle I once had. The barn had it's resident half wild game type chickens. The jacks stomped the chicks to death. I don't think a donkey would make a good chicken protector for you. If you want to learn, then go to the predator section and read it........ALL. I have a mule and she will chase deer away. She can't stand them. The horses will graze peacefully with the deer, but the mule will run them clean out of sight. Go figure.

7. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    some people use llamas or alpacas to guard flocks I get confused on which one.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Llamas, alpacas are much smaller and wouldn't be much use against a predator.

9. Tab003

Tab003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    I do not know about protecting chickens.
    I got our first minature donkey" Maggie" to put w/ the cows because coyotes had killed 2 calves. I had also counted 27 on the ridge one evening. It worked!! We do not see any coyotes around at all. Now we also put donkeys in w/ the goats and horses. We do remove the mothers when time to give birth, because till they accept the babies as part of the herd they might kill them. We lost some once.
    They have killed 2 large dogs( Rot & Pit Bull) that were in thier pasture. They are use to our dogs and don't seem to mind them.
    They are great pets too!! Like dogs w/ hooves!!!

10. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    thanks for the info. I am amazed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by