Jackbooted Chicken seeks input on ordinances

JackbootedChicken

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 7, 2009
Hello,

I am the Code Enforcement Officer for a small Oregon City. Our Municipal Code currently allows the keeping of chickens, provided they are on a half acre or more, at which point up to 24 chickens can be kept. I am currently seeking input to assist with changing this, as I believe chickens should be allowed on city lots, and I receive frequent requests to allow them.
I found the website through an article in a newspaper, and this seemed like a natural place to go for good information.

You asked for the right place and welcome!
thumbsup.gif

Since I live in the city, there was no limit on the number of hens I can have. There was no quote on roosters but there is a clause in for any noise ordiances which I am certain that applies to roosters too.

If you want to do the new chicken city folks a favor, you can research on here what the other laws in your states say about chickens. A family can have somewhere up to six hens to feed their family but not anyone else like neighbors or selling eggs without a permit.

If you need something like a permit which some cities are now doing, you can establish those rules on that. I think cities like this because it would provide revenues and going green as well.

It would be a very good idea if all chickens must be enclosed in a coop with run, rabbit hutches, sheds with all the good husbandry manners and comfortable for the chickens.

Also care about how feed would be stored, and how manure is to be disposed of.

As for the neighbors, dont get roosters (unless it is in the winter when everyone's windows are closed, it should not be a problem if they want to breed their hens for chicks) Or no breeding stock at all.

And, how many feet from the neighbors LIVING residence (not applying to garages, sheds, non living spaces). Our is 75 ft and some can be easily as short as 25 ft.

How the coop would be located. Certainly you do not want it on your deck or right under the neighbors kitchen window with so many feet away.

Hope this give you an idea so just ask away in what you have in mind.

Since I live in the city, there was no limit on the number of hens I can have. There was no quote on roosters but there is a clause in for any noise ordiances which I am certain that applies to roosters too.
Our noise ordinance applies to any animal other than dogs, so it would apply to roosters, certainly.

If you want to do the new chicken city folks a favor, you can research on here what the other laws in your states say about chickens. A family can have somewhere up to six hens to feed their family but not anyone else like neighbors or selling eggs without a permit.
Been looking at a number of different ordinances around the state, and I am actually going to be modifying Portland’s current ordinance for our purposes.

If you need something like a permit which some cities are now doing, you can establish those rules on that. I think cities like this because it would provide revenues and going green as well.
I am going to be doing a permit setup for chickens on lots smaller than a half acre. Mainly because it will give me access in case of complaints, so that I can do an inspection to ensure the animals are being cared for, conditions are sanitary, etc. I also think that having a permit will help me to get it approved by City Council. Revenue? Not really. I plan to suggest $20 as a fee, which is the current fee for a fence permit, as well.

It would be a very good idea if all chickens must be enclosed in a coop with run, rabbit hutches, sheds with all the good husbandry manners and comfortable for the chickens.
I am working with the building department on the issue of coops, to make sure we address any concerns they might have. Not sure yet how I am going to address requiring a coop, but definitely going to work on it.

Also care about how feed would be stored, and how manure is to be disposed of.
Good points. I had thought of the feed issue as it might attract vermin, but hadn’t thought much on the manure, other than requiring that odor be kept to a minimum.

As for the neighbors, dont get roosters (unless it is in the winter when everyone's windows are closed, it should not be a problem if they want to breed their hens for chicks) Or no breeding stock at all.
No roosters will be allowed on properties of less than a half acre, which fits with current code. I definitely don’t want to open that particular bag of worms.

And, how many feet from the neighbors LIVING residence (not applying to garages, sheds, non living spaces). Our is 75 ft and some can be easily as short as 25 ft.
I have a requirement written in requiring coops etc to comply with current zoning setback regulations(all buildings must be at least three feet from rear and side property lines, and 20 feet from the front. Also, I have written in a requirement of at least 15 feet from any human living space. I’d be interested if the members here think that is enough, or if it should be a greater distance.

How the coop would be located. Certainly you do not want it on your deck or right under the neighbors kitchen window with so many feet away.
See above.

Hope this give you an idea so just ask away in what you have in mind.
This is great. Keep the suggestions coming, please! I have ordered a copy of the Chickens for Dummies books suggested on this site. Hopefully that will help me, as well.

I've never dealt with codes or ordinances about chicken tending, but I applaud your efforts to approach the issue from both sides.

welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Edited because I need a new keyboard.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Great to have you here!!! Its wonderful to see someone here like you who WANTS to change the ordinance, especially in the city limits! I live in the city limits too, and currently am keeping my girls illegally. Have already had our ACO come over several times about it. I keep them pretty much hidden. Please keep us up to date on your progress to allowing chickens in the city, and maybe we could use the same tactic you have down here!
fl.gif
fl.gif

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif

Welcome, and thank you from a member in the UK......... everyone should have the pleasure on enjoying chickens.keep up the fabby work! and keep the board posted..... perhaps you should also post a thread in the Random Ramblings section............... good luck!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
i think 15 feet is a bit short. When we lived in Los Angeles the ordinances stated the coop must be located at least 20 feet from your own residence and 25 feet from any neighboring residence (not property line, but actual home). Those seemed like reasonable distances that anyone on a normal residential lot could comply with. If keeping roosters, then you needed 100 feet from any other residence. There was no limit on the number of chickens, except they must be kept in reasonable and sanitary conditions.

In a small town near where i live now, they recently adopted codes to allow any resident to have up to five hens, no roosters. They don't have set-back requirements, as most of the properties there are on smaller lots, less than .25 acres.

It's great you are trying to thoughtfully craft your ordinances to allow your residents to keep chickens. So many people worry about where their food comes from. Having a small flock of hens to supply a personal source of nutritious food is a great resource, and a fun learning experience for kids.

Along with your new ordinances, it would be nice to find someone to conduct small seminars or workshops on how to properly house and care for chickens. Maybe a local chicken person could do classes through a Learning Exchange type of situation. Just a thought.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom