Jan. 2022 Hatch-a-long

Pics
My last egg didn’t hatch. 2/6 isn’t a great hatch rate, but, for shipped eggs in January, it could have been worse. And at least one of the two chicks that hatched is a pullet!

I’ve got one more hatch of my own flock set up now for a Valentine’s Day hatch date. Maybe the third time will be the charm for me this year. We’ll see, anyway.
Is 6 what you had when they arrived to you?

Can I ask everyone that bought shipped egg to give me your experience with the delivery?

I've had bad experience in fall of 2021.
Sure: 2021 was absolutely horrible for eggs I received. During summer and fall, I had several shipments where none hatched (including one where only 1 egg even began developing and quit before 2nd candling), shipments where a single egg hatched, broken eggs, rotten eggs, eggs with condensation, and lots of blood rings during incubation. Even where boxes looked ok on the outside, eggs were cracked and internally scrambled, most had rolling and saddled air cells that never normalized despite trying various techniques for shipping-damaged eggs.

Prior to a couple of years ago, shipped eggs would usually arrive in pretty good shape, and I had some great hatches. No more, it seems.

Sure: 2021 was absolutely horrible for eggs I received. During summer and fall, I had several shipments where none hatched (including one where only 1 egg even began developing and quit before 2nd candling), shipments where a single egg hatched, broken eggs, rotten eggs, eggs with condensation, and lots of blood rings during incubation. Even where boxes looked ok on the outside, eggs were cracked and internally scrambled, most had rolling and saddled air cells that never normalized despite trying various techniques for shipping-damaged eggs.

Prior to a couple of years ago, shipped eggs would usually arrive in pretty good shape, and I had some great hatches. No more, it seems.
Have you gotten any shipped eggs this year?

Can I ask everyone that bought shipped egg to give me your experience with the delivery?

I have bought 2 different batches of the Bielefelder hatching egg's from the same breeder on ebay. They shipped from out of Chicago. I had 5 pullet's that hatched out of the first batch, and a boy that had failed to thrive. So, I had 5 girl's and no boy's. On the second batch, I now have 2 pullet's and 2 cockerel's. They packed them pretty good and they were double boxed. The boxes arrived intact. The first batch none of the egg's arrived broken, but 2 egg's were broken in that second batch.

I have bought 2 different batches of the Bielefelder hatching egg's from the same breeder on ebay. They shipped from out of Chicago. I had 5 pullet's that hatched out of the first batch, and a boy that had failed to thrive. So, I had 5 girl's and no boy's. On the second batch, I now have 2 pullet's and 2 cockerel's. They packed them pretty good and they were double boxed. The boxes arrived intact. The first batch none of the egg's arrived broken, but 2 egg's were broken in that second batch.
Thank you for that information, I wanted to get shipped eggs but I still don't feel confident with shipping services.

Hope more people can chime in on there experiences this year.

It was last spring March and April 2021. Got several sets of eggs from the same breeder in Washington state, thinking they wouldn’t have to come quite as far to me here in Hawaii if I only chose breeders on the West Coast. Had the eggs express shipped which cost a small fortune. I personally picked up the eggs at the local post office so they wouldn’t have to spend half a day bouncing around in the post truck. The breeder could not have packed the eggs any better, they were double boxed, in egg foam and beautifully packaged. The box was labeled all over it “fragile hatching eggs”. Despite this, almost every single egg that I received had either completely detached aircells or very badly saddled aircells. Out of 48 eggs I received from her, I hatched one chick from one set that died after two days and I hatched one chick from the third set that is my avatar.🙁

Back
Top Bottom