January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Lockdown day for the first time in 2021. Day 18 for 6 brown local eggs. Day 19 for the single Trader Joe's egg. These are lined up to the left of the photo.

Because I have so many other eggs going I'll pull out an old Lyons incubator for hatching. I got it used so it doesn't have a turner attachment or base. But it still works perfect for hatching.

View attachment 2491961
I’m really interested to see what comes out of the Trader Joe’s egg. That’s the white one yes? My bet is on it being a white leghorn maybe 😜

I’m really interested to see what comes out of the Trader Joe’s egg. That’s the white one yes? My bet is on it being a white leghorn maybe 😜
That's what I'm hoping for! If it doesn't hatch, I have strong reservations, I'll pick up a couple leghorn pullet chicks anyways. I know they have a reputation for being flighty but my favorite hen ever was a White Leghorn. I love having one or two in the flock.

That's what I'm hoping for! If it doesn't hatch, I have strong reservations, I'll pick up a couple leghorn pullet chicks anyways. I know they have a reputation for being flighty but my favorite hen ever was a White Leghorn. I love having one or two in the flock.
I grew up with leghorns in SF Bay Area in a city called Fremont. I may get a pullet or two here but my worry is the frostbite , they have such big combs! Better for milder winters like in Calif but I guess as long as the ventilation is good should be ok 🤔

The Lyon fired up without issues. Temp leveled out exactly where it should be within minutes. So I've marked air cells, moved and locked down 7 eggs. When marking cells I noticed quite a bit of shadowing in the smallest egg. I'd be very surprised if I don't have pips tomorrow (day 19).

I've set this one in the storage room on seedling rack. I don't want my husband to panic when he sees yet another incubator fired up (#3). :lau :jumpy

IMG_20210116_142840127.jpg

Hello all! A man that I sold a couple of chickens to, lost most of his flock to predators so I am hatching some of my eggs for him. I have Swedish Flower Hens in with Buff Orpingtons now so they will be one or the other or a mix of both! Hopefully by the next time I hatch they will be separated & I can hatch some pure bred chicks. I am hoping to do a lot of hatching this year from my own flock. I set 20 eggs today so my hatch day will be Jan 10th!
OK now I'm looking for your update and pix! I just set eggs last nite for my First Hatch. Started a thread with that title in the Incubation Forum.

I started getting shipping alerts again last night and my eggs are now showing as out for delivery! :wee
Presuming they're no worse for wear with the week-long shipment, I should be setting them tomorrow morning.
My USPS Shipping Text alerts didn't happen, so we were surprised for an abrupt call to come pick up eggs. But they rested and got into the new generic 'bator last nite. Upright start, with no turning first 3 days on this one. Then side turning rods undisturbed for most. I may do a couple under a lamp if they don't fit well, and since one got a clumsy crack repair.

My USPS Shipping Text alerts didn't happen, so we were surprised for an abrupt call to come pick up eggs. But they rested and got into the new generic 'bator last nite. Upright start, with no turning first 3 days on this one. Then side turning rods undisturbed for most. I may do a couple under a lamp if they don't fit well, and since one got a clumsy crack repair.
Yea my usps shipping alerts were way off this and last year too. I got the alerts they arrived a week after they actually arrived!

Back
Top Bottom