JAPENSE BANHTAM VS RHODE ISLAND RED for breeding purposes (trying to decide on a main flock roo)

vote on your personal choice for my main flock rooster

• japense banhtam

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • rhode island red

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • nuetral

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I have somewhat of a different perspective… I don’t think there’s anything wrong with barnyard mixes and around here they’re quite popular. They all sell for about the same too whether purebred or barnyard mix. Just depends on where you are. Here even the purebreds go for only around $5-$10, maybe $15. So if you want to use your RIR too, I say go for it. I wouldn’t recommend using the bantam roo. RIR are good layers so I say use him. Although how do you know for sure he’s a boy at only a week old? Did you specifically order a boy?

I have somewhat of a different perspective… I don’t think there’s anything wrong with barnyard mixes and around here they’re quite popular. They all sell for about the same too whether purebred or barnyard mix. Just depends on where you are. Here even the purebreds go for only around $5-$10, maybe $15. So if you want to use your RIR too, I say go for it. I wouldn’t recommend using the bantam roo. RIR are good layers so I say use him. Although how do you know for sure he’s a boy at only a week old? Did you specifically order a boy?
Yeah even then i would wait, a friend of mine ordered 8 pullets and they all ended up being roosters. I would wait before making a elaborate plan.

I hatched 9 chicks out of 11 eggs all the eggs pipped 1 zipped then passed away another one hatched then passed away anyway. I might send pictures of him hes white because hes actually a barred rock cross RIR. hes seems like a rooster becuase, 1 very big and thick legs. 2 i feather sexed him he came out as a male. 3 i did lots of methods 1 or 2 didnt work but the rest showed him as a male. Please tell me what you think. And if he is a pullet then I have 2 more that i tested as a rooster. Only 1 that i feather sexed came as a male should i send pics of her/him too???????

I hatched 9 chicks out of 11 eggs all the eggs pipped 1 zipped then passed away another one hatched then passed away anyway. I might send pictures of him hes white because hes actually a barred rock cross RIR. hes seems like a rooster becuase, 1 very big and thick legs. 2 i feather sexed him he came out as a male. 3 i did lots of methods 1 or 2 didnt work but the rest showed him as a male. Please tell me what you think. And if he is a pullet then I have 2 more that i tested as a rooster. Only 1 that i feather sexed came as a male should i send pics of her/him too???????
Feather sexing is not reliable except for very specific crosses and neither is the thick leg thing.

Back
Top Bottom