Jaundice bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hippiechickadee, Oct 13, 2014.

1. hippiechickadee

hippiechickadee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I culled my two cockerels this past weekend. They were the exact same age and breed (Easter Egger mutts). One of them had kidneys the size of the grains they ate (compared to the other which was a normal pea size) and had a sack of fluid (thin and clear) around his heart. After plucking, his skin was much yellower then the other.

Is this guy safe to eat do you think? One was supposed to be a roast tomorrow night and the other I was going to make and freeze soup with.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. gus2pp

gus2pp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    To be honest, those sound like deformities, and wouldn't be cause to not eat the bird. The short answer is that jaundice is a problem with the excretion of broken down blood cells. Several things can cause the problem; kidney problems can be a factor. This is how jaundice works in humans, im not an exoert with jaundice in chickens. I doubt that would make the bird toxic to eat, though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! This is what I originally thought as well, and as the bird didn't smell foul I figured it was good and didn't want to waste it.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm guessing you're still alive [​IMG] ?

I'd eat it, just in case you haven't yet.

5. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Haha! We ate and are fine! Delicious chicken pot pies :)

Even though their names were custard and pudding...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by