Java Thread

Pics
heritagebirds, Would you please post some pics of your AJs? I'd love to see some, the pics on Lyle Behl's site are so small. Thanks, Mary

I'll post some as soon as I can get some...between work, kids, beasts and school, I'm lucky to breathe. I've got two batches, and they're split up into a few different pens. I'll try to remember tonight.

As for the shopping list..........nothing.......just hatching for me next year!!
jumpy.gif

me too, I am full up with breeding stock...I have ordered W/BW Ameraucana from Pips&peeps though, gotta have those and them I am done and just selling hatching eggs and hatching chicks...
I sure feel bad for Joy...she must have a horrible unprivate yard if people can just wander in and out of her yard and mess with her birds like that...needs a good fence and maybe a scarey dog !
I do not let anyone near my pens.

Last edited:
i really never dreamed a tourist would go so far as to actually let chickens out though, or let his kid do so, and then put them back in the wrong pen. what a nightmare. whoever did it was FAR out of bounds, but i have found that they tend to wander all over, out of the designated tourist areas. i am making a sign--private property--and the lock is in place. this will never happen to me again.

hoping your birds do well with incubation chickielady!

i go into lockdown tomorrow, and my eggs are looking good. only one quitter out of 11 BJs so far. i have fixed up a 10 gallon aquarium to actually hatch in so i can see them better.

Last edited:
I hope you do OK !
I feel so bad for you !
(and all of us) but things should get better and it will not happen anymore, hopefully...I mean really it could have been worse, the hen could have wandered off entirely or been stolen or killed by a dog...at least you still have your birds all OK...they did not fly over the top of 1 pen into the next pen ?
I have one new pen I have not put netting between the 2 pens and found a blue ameraucana in the black olive egger pen yesterday...little booger !
What was she doing in there ?
And it is 5 foot fencing, but still young, they fly!!!
Good luck Joy!!!!!

no, the BJs never fly over their fencing (mine anyway--someone else's BJs might!) maybe they would if it was shorter. i have never had a bird fly over the six ft, but my olive egger pullets fly out of their 4 ft all the time (and sometimes into the six feet pen--but none of the roos seem to fly over anything, whether BJ, EE, FCBM, or AA). the fence was not closed back properly, so i am pretty sure it was a tourist.

Last edited:
so, i am right in the middle of lockdown and have one chick (day 19, pipped at 6 am, and born at 6 pm) and 2 more pips. very exciting! anybody else have their BJs hatch a little early? this happened last time me as well...not all of them, but a percentage came on day 19.

edited to add--make that 4 more pips!

Last edited:
haTHOR, I hope all your 10 eggs hatch!
How do you hatch in an aquarium? I wouldn't think it would hold the heat and humidity well enough.

i have not had the issues one might think...this has been an exciting way to hatch. my pics/details are in my thread in the incubating and hatching forum.
smile.png
to be clear, i incubated in a trusty hovabator, but switched to the aquarium at lockdown.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom