Java Thread

Nice first egg. Yes this is a big Genetic Find for me. Never did I think these birds went back 60 years and still pure Mottle Javas. Most people have crossed blacks on them to get type better.

I think someday with six or eight hard core breeders this old line can rise to the heights as the Buckeyes are doing. They did it in less than ten years.

My Mottled Java laid her first egg yesterday! Far right

Looks very nice sized for a first egg! Congrats!
Nice first egg. Yes this is a big Genetic Find for me. Never did I think these birds went back 60 years and still pure Mottle Javas. Most people have crossed blacks on them to get type better.

I think someday with six or eight hard core breeders this old line can rise to the heights as the Buckeyes are doing. They did it in less than ten years.
I'll say is a very long time! I think they will "catch" on, may take a few years, but once people start showing more of them, I think that will interest even more people. Are they being shown much now???? I think the MJ are such a pretty bird, so that should help too!!!
smile.png

So I was looking around on Feathersite, and they have an article dated 1998, in it it states that Dr McCraw also sent chicks to several people in Califonia. This is from that Featersite article............

"We also know that we have to get more satellite flocks started. I have shipped birds, eggs and chicks to three individuals and hope to interest several other individuals in keeping Javas. I am also speaking at museum conferences in an effort to interest historical societies, historic houses, and historic villages in poultry conservation. Dr. McGraw has shipped Mottled Java chicks to two individuals in California."

Does anyone know if these people are still breeding the MJ?

Also, before I joined BYC, I did a search and found some heritage breeders that breed several heritage breeds, and some of them did breed Java's. There may be more Java and MJ breeders out there, who knows!!! Going to see if I still have some of those contacts.

So I was looking around on Feathersite, and they have an article dated 1998, in it it states that Dr McCraw also sent chicks to several people in Califonia. This is from that Featersite article............

"We also know that we have to get more satellite flocks started. I have shipped birds, eggs and chicks to three individuals and hope to interest several other individuals in keeping Javas. I am also speaking at museum conferences in an effort to interest historical societies, historic houses, and historic villages in poultry conservation. Dr. McGraw has shipped Mottled Java chicks to two individuals in California."

Does anyone know if these people are still breeding the MJ?

Also, before I joined BYC, I did a search and found some heritage breeders that breed several heritage breeds, and some of them did breed Java's. There may be more Java and MJ breeders out there, who knows!!! Going to see if I still have some of those contacts.
There are starting to be more people breeding Javas - when we hang out online to chat, we mostly stay on the Java Breeders of America list serv and the facebook community page.

Back
Top Bottom