Java Thread

Pics
Quote:
There stunning! Look Great
thumbsup.gif

I had an EE pullet hatch out some cute little Java chicks this week. Yahoo! Now just waiting on 6 more eggs to hatch under broodies, plus tons in the incubator. Pretty soon we will have tons of Javas here.

Good to see and hear everyone is doing well. We just had our Wi chickenstock and one of the cheeseheads blessed me with 3 more javas, prolly about 4 weeks old. They look really nice and will post a pic as soon as I can. That's nice to have a different line to work with along with my present one. One might be moddled..friendly as can be.

~ bigz

Back from vacation & catching up...
frow.gif

Our Mottled Java boy is crowing now & I love the sound... sort of a soft kazoo hum... he doesn't even open his beak til the end. I hope he stays that way. The new LF Favs sound like 2 dozen roos.
I sold the two MJ's with the nicer combs, in favor of this guy because he's so sweet. He runs to me when I go out back, and lets us pet him & carry him around. The 2 pretty boys were super flighty, & hostile to the other birds. Se now have a nice trio
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png
He sounds wondeful. I wouldnt worry to much the second generation will have a good mixture of good and bad combs and you can just go from there
thumbsup.gif

Yep, I totally agree. The critical breeds can use alot of improving. That's why we choose to work with them. I always wait to pass judgement on the flock of the year. Time makes a huge difference in some of the birds.

Oh Ya, It's mottled...sorry for the spelling. The dictionary here has torn pages for sure!
gig.gif

Have Fun... ~ bigz

I very happy with the chicks we have been hatching out here. We still have 2 more sets in the incubator. Broody momma has 3 little Javas following her everywhere. Hopefully I can get some pictures sometime soon. I can't wait to see how these guys grow out as we are crossing two different lines.

Ellen

Hi! My little Javas are growing up. They now spend their days outside in the "baby chicken playpen." It's a 4x8 pen completely enclosed with chicken wire. It's not night predator proof, but it protects them from hawks and free ranging chickens! At night they are safely stowed in their brooder box.

Here's a group shot (with their two colombian wyandotte friends):

26987_groupshotjavas.jpg

It looks like both the whites are boys. This is Betty (who'll need a new name):

26987_bettyboywhitejava.jpg

And here's Mountain Boy, the other white, with Davey, an auburn cockerel in the back:

26987_mountainboydaveyjavas.jpg

I'm hoping most of the rest are pullets, but this one may not be:

26987_100_1075.jpg

The bird doesn't act like a cockerel (no chest butting, etc.) but is beginning to develop a bit of pink in the comb area. Time will tell!

So far, I'm enjoying the Javas. They are friendly and curious little birds. They are also the messiest eaters of any chicks I've ever had! Fortunately I move their tractor around, and the big birds come by and clean up the spilled food.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have found that my black pullets will actually have a tiny blackish comb when the boys are already starting to turn pink. This has been true for both bloodlines I have, and the additional chicks we ordered this year. I currently have about 3 dozen black java chicks in the brooder from our flock.
jumpy.gif
They are only 1 week old, so it will take some time before I can even start guessing boys vs girls.

Back
Top Bottom