The Old Man Spring 2009

47762_copy_2nd_photo_om_easter_2009.jpg

The Old Man Spring 2009 he is a 7 year old rooster

47762_feeding_the_om_2009.jpg

47762_feeding_the_om_2009_02.jpg

Hand feeding

47762_bj_hen_2009_02.jpg

A Black Java hen Spring 2009

I thought you might enjoy seeing the photos.

javachick

Oh Thanks Java chick!!
And how is the old man ?
He is still around is he not ?
What a sweet old guy.
I hope I do not get "man haters" I hate to have to cull a mean bird that may be necessary to a breeding program.
Spring is trying to spring here !!
Temps have been highs in the 50s...lots of rain.
In the next month we should get lots of rain from the Pineapple express, and then the March winds necssary to "turn" the winter weather around...I cannot hardly waite for spring and new eggs to share !!!
ya.gif

Culling manfighters (lol love that man-haters thing, but it is manfighters) is a great thing to do. However, I'm not sure you are going to have much success.

With Games, manfighters have been culled for literally thousands of year; thus, they seldom appear. When they do they are killed immediately. The last thing one wants when dealing with Games is a manfighter.

On the other hand, meat, egg and dual purpose breeds have never known this type of selective pressure. Consequently, manfighters among these 'farm' breeds is just a given.

Here's the problem: the behaviour of a cock is said to come from his dame. That is also why if the sons of a certain hen are consistently manfighters that a Game breeder will kill THE HEN that produced them: no matter how 'sweet' she is. If you want to eliminate the manfighting trait then you have to eliminate the hens that pass it on.

Cull all the manfighters you get, but the problem is the Hen.

Ah no, Chickielady, the Old Man past away last summer.
It broke my heart to see him go.
The rooster I am currently using is his son who is just as gentle as his dad.
I will try to post a photo of a great grandson who is coming on strong.
He is big, handsome, protective watching over the other young birds, loves treats too. lol

javachick

I picked up "The Poultry Magazine" VOL2 - ISS11 - JAN/FEB 2011 and found an article on JAVA FOWL. In the article it says that "The Java bantam is on the inactive list for the American Bantam Association."

What does this mean exactly? I think I know but I am not really sure.

The article had a few photos of some nice Mottled Javas and it covered some basic information on judging and evaluating JAVA FOWL.

javachick

Quote:
From what I understand, it is on the inactive list just as the Rhode Island White is...due to the fact that there are so few, or none, and no one is showing them, so they have been elimenated from the APA SOP.

Back
Top Bottom