Java Thread

Pics
I would consider sandhill preservation a breeder and not a hatchery....his projects are to improve the breeds. I really don't think you will be diappointed with his birds. His birds are very nice.
~ bigzio

Quote:
I, also, have "Auburn" Javas that I am working on. I got mine from Tamara (BYCer chickenlover54) last May. They are from Garfield Farm Museum's Black Javas (originally from Duane Urch) that showed the red gene as chicks. (For many years these chicks would have been culled for improper color but if you read the above link you'll see that Lyle Behl is trying to recreate the Auburns from the Blacks.) I got 6 chicks, 3 of each sex. One cockerel is in the freezer (3.75 lb at 17 weeks). One cockerel and one pullet now belong to a friend and I have the remaining cockerel and two pullets. Here are pictures of the cockerel, he has very little red showing. The first pic is of his back from the top and the second of the profile. The other pic is of the pullet with the most color, the other pullet only has a few hackle feathers that have color.

44049_roo_back_width.jpg

44049_roo_side_shape.jpg

44049_henny.jpg

Any comments or critque welcome, my skin is thick, I can take it. Mary

Quote:
I avoid Ideal like the plague, they are blatenly advertising Rhode Island Whites "as a white version of the Rhode island Red" wrong!!
The two breeds share no blood nor back ground other than beng from the same state.
They (ideal) asl sell either single comb or rose comb RIW....wrong again !
RIW only come in rose comb, it is a trait of the breed as is rumpless a trait of the Araucana.
If you must get chicks from a hatchery, go Duane Urch, he at least knows the SOP.
Sandhill is pretty good, although I have heard some bad reveiws about the SOP of their birds too.
Call Urch/Turnland Hatchery. #1
and Sandhill #2, but fair warning, there is usually a waiting list !
And maybe I can find some one close by, otherwise maybe I can get some babies to you.
We drive to California every few months, we have peoperty there.
I am planning on having alot of eggs to hatch very soon, and alot of us Java breeders are swapping eggs this spring, so I should have alot of the beautiful chicks.
I will PM you.

Last edited:
Quote:
I, also, have "Auburn" Javas that I am working on. I got mine from Tamara (BYCer chickenlover54) last May. They are from Garfield Farm Museum's Black Javas (originally from Duane Urch) that showed the red gene as chicks. (For many years these chicks would have been culled for improper color but if you read the above link you'll see that Lyle Behl is trying to recreate the Auburns from the Blacks.) I got 6 chicks, 3 of each sex. One cockerel is in the freezer (3.75 lb at 17 weeks). One cockerel and one pullet now belong to a friend and I have the remaining cockerel and two pullets. Here are pictures of the cockerel, he has very little red showing. The first pic is of his back from the top and the second of the profile. The other pic is of the pullet with the most color, the other pullet only has a few hackle feathers that have color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_back_width.jpg

I am no Java judge !
But good luck in your work !
These are beautiful breeds to work with !

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_side_shape.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_henny.jpg

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_back_width.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_side_shape.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_henny.jpg

What is the origin of the Auburn Java.

Quote:
I have been talking to Lyle for the last couple months and am going to get some eggs from him. I think it's great that the Auburn gene was brought back out on these great birds. I know it going take some work but to get them where they should be. I have a question for ya. Breeding the rooster that you have pictured to the hens you have pictured do you get alot of variations in color? Mike

My first egg from Goldilocks is going into the incubator with another 30 or so eggs on Sunday. I could have another egg or two from her in the group? We will see, but I am very excited. They are my only two Javas. I am getting another 3-5 Java hens (I think) sometime soon. They are mostly black with some gold lacing. I am going to isolate them and hatch a bunch of them....but that is at least 45 days away. I am pumped about it. Sgt. Pepper is over many other birds....he is very active....I will have barnyard mix chicks for sale soon. I would say he has fathered about half.

Hog Dog, Look at the link for Behl Farms that rsf31tmp posted above (just above bigzio and junglebird) for the info you're looking for.

Quote:
I have been talking to Lyle for the last couple months and am going to get some eggs from him. I think it's great that the Auburn gene was brought back out on these great birds. I know it going take some work but to get them where they should be. I have a question for ya. Breeding the rooster that you have pictured to the hens you have pictured do you get alot of variations in color? Mike

Mike, It's great that you will be getting into the Auburns. Many are needed to do the long, hard work of finding and cultivating the Auburn genes that remain in the breed. Mary

Back
Top Bottom