1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jealous chooks???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MrsMcCluck, Feb 4, 2015.

1. MrsMcCluck

MrsMcCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    So, the new waterfowl have been home for 48 hours and I couldnt stand the mess of the coop, so we made a temporary tiny run outside the coop to give me a chance to tidy it up.

My existing chickens came over to see the new arrivals, and I swear they were jealous!! They say on top of a mud pile, looking down at the new arrivals and clucking loudly ans ignored me when I offered them some food.

I feel like I'm being punished for dividing my attentions!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Jealous? I doubt it. Probably more offended that you had the nerve to add strangers to their coop :)
    Chickens aren't fond of change, and they don't like new additions to their living space, be they other chickens or waterfowl. They'll get used to them, but you might want to consider either separate housing for the waterfowl or an alternative water situation (which is what I'm assuming is the source of the mess that was bothering you). Waterfowl are messy critters, and they especially like to play in their water. They manage to spread even the tiniest amount of water farther than you could imagine. When I had ducks and geese, their drinker sat on top of a wooden square with hardware clothe over the top. There was a bowl underneath, so when they'd dabble in the water, it would fall through the wire into the bowl instead of on the shavings (straw, or whichever bedding you use). Their pool for swimming was outside, as far away from their house as it could possibly be so they didn't go splashing in the pond and head straight to the coop soaking wet.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by