Jelly like egg? What's up with that?

Redtopranch

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
I'm back for some "learnin'"...
smile.png

Wife just brought in an egg that looked like a "jelly - gelatinous" sack around a thin shelled egg. As she began to wipe the gel off the egg broke. I assume this was just an immature - under developed egg? The egg was larger than average prob. coming from one of my Production Reds. The egg only had one yoke though. I've noticed that I have one that lays shell-less eggs from time to time.

You thoughts?

I keep oyster shells out and mixed in their feed (layer pellets, scratch & black oil sunflowerseeds for snacks). They also free range during the day. Just in case that info is needed.

I appreciate all the information you guys have provided me up to this point. You guys are really catching this "new egg" up quickly. Thank you.

Paul

From what I understand, it is not uncommon for pullets to lay softshell eggs every now and agian. There reproductive system is still adjusting. When eggs pass too quickly through the system they do not get the normal shell. You said you have oyster shell available. So I would just wait and see what the next couple look like. If it becomes a persistant problem I would seek help.
Good Luck!

I got an egg like this last week, have no idea if it came from one of my older girls or a new layer !! It was good sized !!

From what I have read about this it happens somtimes, nothing to be worried about unless it happens often !!

They do look odd huh ? Mine looked totally normal inside.

Yep... was going to take a pic but then the egg cracked and went everywhere... would have been a pic of just runny goo. Sorry.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom