Jersery Giants

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BrianT, Sep 9, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Are JG roosters to large to keep with standard size hens? I have barred rocks, faverolle, redstars and orpingtons. Thanks.

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    They're fine together. My JG shares a coop with a silkie, a red sexlink, and a small gamebird (about the size of a large crow). And the sexlink actually picks on the JG relentlessly.

3. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    My concern is that because of the weight when full grown, could they hurt the hens when while attempting to mate?

4. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    noone else thinks a rooster would weigh too much for other types of hens?

5. zita

zita New Egg

May 21, 2011
    I just had a standard size sex link roaster kill a silkie hen breeding her. Just too rough. Separated the head from the neck. Stupid, stupid roster. Just be careful he didn't even try to pick on her. Zita

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    their fine with Standard hens... even though my MIL seems to think otherwise [​IMG]

7. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Quote:Thank you. This eases my mind and now I can be stoked. I got my wife to consent to a JJ roo! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thank you. This eases my mind and now I can be stoked. I got my wife to consent to a JJ roo! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

you'll love him! my rooster's crow is soooooo pathetic! he literally sounds like he's choking!

heres mine!

[​IMG]

heres one for size comparison, these are Thor's girls, everyone is the same age of about 18 weeks. my hens are the size of my MIL's standard hens

[​IMG]

9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Pingu is growing up with 4 LF girls in her baby coop and they will share the big pen with the 5 Bantams currently living there. Everything I've read suggests that they should all be fine.

[​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Large fowl with other large fowl shouldn't be a problem. I had a relatively large mutt, not JG giant, but over 10lbs, and his favorite girl was a 4lb all feathers leghorn. I also had free raining silkies but none of the standards belived they were birds and they did their own thing with their own rooster. Not even the head rooster bothered fought or even looked at the silkie roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by