BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
Are JG roosters to large to keep with standard size hens? I have barred rocks, faverolle, redstars and orpingtons. Thanks.

briteday

Songster
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Northern NV
They're fine together. My JG shares a coop with a silkie, a red sexlink, and a small gamebird (about the size of a large crow). And the sexlink actually picks on the JG relentlessly.

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
My concern is that because of the weight when full grown, could they hurt the hens when while attempting to mate?

zita

Hatching
8 Years
May 21, 2011
I just had a standard size sex link roaster kill a silkie hen breeding her. Just too rough. Separated the head from the neck. Stupid, stupid roster. Just be careful he didn't even try to pick on her. Zita

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
Quote:Thank you. This eases my mind and now I can be stoked. I got my wife to consent to a JJ roo!

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
Quote:Thank you. This eases my mind and now I can be stoked. I got my wife to consent to a JJ roo!

you'll love him! my rooster's crow is soooooo pathetic! he literally sounds like he's choking!

heres mine!

heres one for size comparison, these are Thor's girls, everyone is the same age of about 18 weeks. my hens are the size of my MIL's standard hens

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
Pingu is growing up with 4 LF girls in her baby coop and they will share the big pen with the 5 Bantams currently living there. Everything I've read suggests that they should all be fine.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Large fowl with other large fowl shouldn't be a problem. I had a relatively large mutt, not JG giant, but over 10lbs, and his favorite girl was a 4lb all feathers leghorn. I also had free raining silkies but none of the standards belived they were birds and they did their own thing with their own rooster. Not even the head rooster bothered fought or even looked at the silkie roosters.

Top Bottom