Jersey buff hen crossed with bourbon red tom

Azdaydream

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2021
Hello, so I was told that if I hatched poults from a jersey buff hen and a bourbon red Tom I would end up with some pure bourbon reds and some that were darker and not pure bourbon reds.
This was infact the case. We have some babies that are dark chocolate brown in color of some that look as they should to be bourbon red poults.

I cant find any on Google that verifies this cross and result. I do know that the Jersey Buff was used to develop the bourbon red.
So I am thinking it's possible.

My question is this true, that I can get some pure bourbon red poults?
I added a few pictures of my parents and the babies showing the lighter to the darker babies.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20220426_180305.jpg
    20220426_180305.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220513_063230.jpg
    20220513_063230.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220505_160506.jpg
    20220505_160506.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220505_160537.jpg
    20220505_160537.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220427_153023.jpg
    20220427_153023.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 37
Jersey Buff (BB rr) crossed with Bourbon Red (bb rr) will produce Semi-Jersey Buff (Bb rr). It will not produce anything else.

If your supposed Jersey Buff hen is a Semi-Jersey Buff (Bb rr) you could have produced 50% Bourbon Reds and 50% Semi-Jersey Buff.

How did we end up with 2 different colors of poults? The jersey buff were sold to me as bourbon red hens but after breeding them to my toms...that babies came out in 2 different colors.

How did we end up with 2 different colors of poults? The jersey buff were sold to me as bourbon red hens but after breeding them to my toms...that babies came out in 2 different colors.
Someone sold you something that it wasn't. It happens all the time that people don't actually know what variety of turkeys they have.

You would get two different color poults if the hen was a Semi-Jersey Buff.

Who knows what other hidden color genes are lurking in your mix.

Someone sold you something that it wasn't. It happens all the time that people don't actually know what variety of turkeys they have.

You would get two different color poults if the hen was a Semi-Jersey Buff.

Who knows what other hidden color genes are lurking in your mix.

This is what I was told in a turkey genetics group. Is there any truth to this?

The darker poults is jersey buff type (bronze carrier), the lighter one is bourbon

it seems to me that your hen in the photo is actually black base (jersey buff), so you will continue to receive such jersey poults , this means that your hens are carriers of the bronze gene, because bourbon is based on bronze, so is not a real pure jersey buff. If you breed your jersey (dark) poults together, you get some real bourbon and real jersey buff

The lighter poults are real bourbon and if hens, you can bring it back to be bred with your bourbon toms to get only bourbons. And the dark poults have a Jersey phenotype, but they are also carriers of bronze like their mother and will continue to give both colors. Simply put, they are half bourbon, half jersey.

Pure Jersey Buff is BB rr. A pure Jersey Buff does not carry a bronze gene.

The person is saying that you have a Jersey Buff type which is not the same as saying it is a Jersey Buff.

A Semi-Jersey Buff is Bb rr and does carry a bronze gene. Crossing a Semi-Jersey Buff with a Bourbon Red (bb rr) will produce 50% Semi-Jersey Buff (Bb rr) and 50% Bourbon Red (bbrr).

You are being so helpful thank you. I have one more question. When you say 50% Semi-Jersey Buff (Bb rr) and 50% Bourbon Red (bbrr). Do you mean the hatch will be 50/50 or each poult will be 50/50?

Ok so is possible these lighter babies are bourbon redz and the darker ones are semi jersey?

Really I want to know what I have so I can honestly lable these guys as accurate as possible on what I am selling when I go to list them.

Back
Top Bottom