Jersey Giant Chicks?

Nay117

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Hi everyone! New chick mom here! This is my second post and you all were amazing on helping me with figuring out the breed of 2 bantam chicks I got from tractor supply. I got 7 chicks total 2 weeks ago .. 3 were labeled sexed jersey giants .. so they should be a little over 2 weeks old now .. 2 are big (to be expected) with black legs and yellow feet soles but they also have brown tips on their feathers that are coming in .. the third (which I dont think is a jersey giant) is much smaller and has pinkish legs with pink/cream foot sole. I don't mind whatever they are and love them just the same just curious if true jersey giants have brown in them as young pullets and if anyone has any guesses to my little black and white one (started all black with just white spot on head and now white in her feathers). Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20210423_155353.jpg
    20210423_155353.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210423_155443.jpg
    20210423_155443.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210423_155238.jpg
    20210423_155238.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210420_164740.jpg
    20210420_164740.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 46
No jersey giants in your pics. I see a barred rock, I think I’ve the striped one. The black with brown tips, not sure.

Oh, just looked more carefully at the foot bottoms on the dark chick. They are not yellow like BJG. As chicks, BJG have very yellow foot bottoms, and usually the webbing between the toes too, so it is usually quite obvious in contrast to their slate colored legs/top of feet. The feet bottoms in your pic do not look that yellow.

also, are you saying that you bought BANTAM Jersey Giants? That is an oxymoron...tiny giants..lol. I’m not sure if there are recognized bantam giants, FWIW.

Oh, just looked more carefully at the foot bottoms on the dark chick. They are not yellow like BJG. As chicks, BJG have very yellow foot bottoms, and usually the webbing between the toes too, so it is usually quite obvious in contrast to their slate colored legs/top of feet. The feet bottoms in your pic do not look that yellow.

also, are you saying that you bought BANTAM Jersey Giants? That is an oxymoron...tiny giants..lol. I’m not sure if there are recognized bantam giants, FWIW.
No not bantam jersey giants .. we have 2 little sebright bantams .. they were just listed as bantams so I had no clue what breed they were until posting here. We have 3 of "supposed to be jersey giants" so I'm curious what they will look like when they grow up! We also have 2 Orpingtons which I believe are correct but who knows with tractor supplies success rate on my jerseys.

Smaller is a Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock (I'd wait a little bit until leg color becomes more obvious to differentiate). Others might be Asian Blacks or Black Sexlinks. Unsure of why there is a size difference

Back
Top Bottom