Jersey Giant or Black Java?

tommysgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 18, 2012
I received a shipment of Assorted American breeds that included both Black Javas and Black Jersey Giant. They hatched August 7. I am still unsure if this
IMG-0247.jpg
IMG-0246.jpg
IMG-0244.jpg
is a Giant or a Java. Java's were used as a foundation for Giants and they passed along their feather, leg, foot, ear and eye color. Here is a document where I pasted pics from FeatherSite of both breeds side by side and I am not really seeing much difference. I have also attached pictures of my girl who is luminous. Her black feathers show green and purple even on cloudy days. She eats from my hand and is ALWAYS on the lookout for goodies as she ranges my backyard. She is docile but not a lap chicken. She is bigger than the pullets of the same age which has me leaning toward Giant and at going on 6 months her comb is more juvenile in appearance and both breeds are slow to mature. I am sure I will figure it out eventually but I would like to know just because I would like to know ;) In the first pic she is next to my Australorp roo and he is magnificant in size and sheen but her sheen is even more pronounced. Thanks so much for you help in solving this mystery!

I received a shipment of Assorted American breeds that included both Black Javas and Black Jersey Giant. They hatched August 7. I am still unsure if thisView attachment 2970371View attachment 2970372View attachment 2970373 is a Giant or a Java. Java's were used as a foundation for Giants and they passed along their feather, leg, foot, ear and eye color. Here is a document where I pasted pics from FeatherSite of both breeds side by side and I am not really seeing much difference. I have also attached pictures of my girl who is luminous. Her black feathers show green and purple even on cloudy days. She eats from my hand and is ALWAYS on the lookout for goodies as she ranges my backyard. She is docile but not a lap chicken. She is bigger than the pullets of the same age which has me leaning toward Giant and at going on 6 months her comb is more juvenile in appearance and both breeds are slow to mature. I am sure I will figure it out eventually but I would like to know just because I would like to know ;) In the first pic she is next to my Australorp roo and he is magnificant in size and sheen but her sheen is even more pronounced. Thanks so much for you help in solving this mystery!
Your bird appears to have white skin. I am pretty sure that both JGs and BJs have yellow skin.

Can you get a picture of the sole of her feet, just to be sure?

In non-hatchery birds there are more noticeable differences between JGs and Javas. Because this bird is from a hatchery, it may not have all of the typical breed characteristics. One simple test is to check the bottom of her feet. What color are they? Jersey Giants should have yellow feet (if the hatchery selects for it). She does tend to appear more JG than Java in the pictures you’ve shared.

In non-hatchery birds there are more noticeable differences between JGs and Javas. Because this bird is from a hatchery, it may not have all of the typical breed characteristics. One simple test is to check the bottom of her feet. What color are they? Jersey Giants should have yellow feet (if the hatchery selects for it). She does tend to appear more JG than Java in the pictures you’ve shared.
Mine have yellow underfeet.

Back
Top Bottom