Jersey Giant X Light Brahma?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TheHappyHen21, Jul 26, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    What do you think on the outcome? As in meat bird. Slow maturing i know that.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That depends on whether you're using hatchery or breeder stock. Hatchery stock will yield a bird not much more suited to meat use than your typical laying hen breed, meaning a long frame with not much in the way of actual meat. But from breeder stock parents, the offspring of that cross should produce a nice, large, relatively solid meat bird indeed.

3. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    I'm interested in the outcome.

I have both of these breeds right now. My lt Brahma Roo has really gotten big and thick. His brother, well he came in the same box from mcmurrey, was good size at 18 weeks when I processed him. My jersey giant is a little taller than the Bramha but not nearly as thick. I have pullets of each as well.

4. TheHappyHen21

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    Thank you for responding QueenMisha! The Brahmas are from breeder stock and there very large. The JG's are hatchery birds, i hate to say it. I bought them from a hatchery before i realized the difference! I only now buy from breeders and check out there birds first. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    How old are your bhramas?
    Mine are hatchery stock.
    [​IMG]

6. TheHappyHen21

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny