1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giants from MPC?? Turkens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by teach1rusl, Jun 17, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

For anyone who has either of these breeds from MPC, what can you tell me about your birds...?

I'm wondering if the JGs actually grow up big, or if they're pretty much BA size.

And if you have the naked necks, could you tell me what colors you've received.

These are two hatchery breeds I'm considering for my pet chicken flock. Any extra details about your birds would be appreciated! Thanks so much! [​IMG]

** I already know that MPC isn't a hatchery (have heard they ship from Meyer?), and I know the quality issues, as I have birds from them (birds I love as is).

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I got 3 from them...BJG's....I have one that's kinda large but they really aren't THAT big. Very friendly nice girls though [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

Quote:Are they larger than your BOs??? I have heard that most hatchery JGs don't really get much bigger than common LF birds, so that's why I wanted to hear from folks who've experienced it first hand. Appreciate your input! [​IMG]

4. Marct611

Marct611 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    Ludlow,MA
    We bought JG's last summer from MPC and we thought they would grow huge as expected... well 11 months later and they are very close in size to our 11 mo old wyndotts. BUY from a breeder. We hatched out JG's from eggs bought from a breeder, and at 13 weeks old they are the same size as the 11 mo old MPC jerseys. We also have some 13 month old blue Jerseys that are alot bigger and broader then our hatchery birds.

5. teach1rusl

Quote:Yeah - I've read of others saying that - about the size thing. That's kind of why I wanted to get feedback from others. Because you never know if it's just happened in a few cases, or if it's pretty much standard. Thanks for your input. [​IMG]

6. Marct611

Marct611 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    Ludlow,MA
    We never really noticed until these pullets joined our flock.. The hatchery JG's.....we just thought well maybe they grow slower then the blues. Its very noticeable that the hatchery JG's are going to be passed size wise in about a week or two by the breeder JG's

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I got some Naked Necks(Turkens) that the guy I bought them from said they came from Mc Murray. I know that isnt the hatchery you are talking about, but I love them. They are my twins cause they look just alike. They were the girst to lay and lay very well and large brown eggs. I have read they are immune to most chicken diseases too. here is a pic of one of mine.
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

Thanks Sheila [​IMG] I would say many of the hatcheries' birds are quite similar, so that helps!

9. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I have a black GJ rooster. I din't get him from MPC but I was thinking about getting some hens from there because I only have one. My JG is HUGE! He is almost the size of a turkey. Everyone that sees him says that he is the biggest chicken they have ever seen. He is a sweet heart too. Very gentle and follows me everywhere. I'm glad you posted this, now I am thinking twice about JGs from MPC. I wanted to get more from the breeder I got him from, but he lives in another town and I can never reach him. I have been looking for hens for two months now!

10. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    This is an older picture, but here are my two girls from MPC. One is a black tailed red and the other is wheaten. Very nice birds and I am totally in love with them. [​IMG] (They are both sitting on my lap in this picture) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by