Jersey giants? Hen or rooster?

pufferoo

Hatching
May 19, 2015
I got a brown egg assortment. I think I got mostly australorps but black jersey giants were a possibility as well. Is this one a black jersey or Australorp? And is it a rooster or hen? It has the green sheen to its feathers. They were born 3/9/15. It's one of the bigger chickens but not significantly bigger (my Delaware rooster is obviously much bigger than the hens and clearly rooster). Thoughts? Thanks!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
You have a cockerel. As to whether it's a Black Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp, you can tell which by looking at the bottoms of his feet. If the bottoms of his feet are an obvious yellow, then he's a Black Jersey Giant. If they are any other color (whitish, pinkish, grayish), then he is a Black Australorp.

You have a cockerel. As to whether it's a Black Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp, you can tell which by looking at the bottoms of his feet. If the bottoms of his feet are an obvious yellow, then he's a Black Jersey Giant. If they are any other color (whitish, pinkish, grayish), then he is a Black Australorp.
x2

x3

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Darn about it being a cockerel. It has very yellow feet so it's a jersey giant :) another question how are black jersey giants temperaments tend to be compared to Delawares? We have 2 cockerels. I will re home one of them eventually. Haven't picked which (although the Delaware is very handsome).

Oh and does the yellow feet thing go for the girls as well?? Have 10 girls that are either black jersey or Australorp. Would be cool If some of them were black jerseys.

Thanks so much! Darn about it being a cockerel. It has very yellow feet so it's a jersey giant
smile.png
another question how are black jersey giants temperaments tend to be compared to Delawares? We have 2 cockerels. I will re home one of them eventually. Haven't picked which (although the Delaware is very handsome).

I've had both Delawares and Jersey Giants and they are both friendly and docile breeds. If egg production is a priority, the Delawares will have a little better feed to egg conversion rate.

JERSEY FOR SURE I HAVE 40 THEY ARE VERY TAME AND GENTLE GIANTS ALSO JUST GOT MY FIRST EGG TODAY,, SO EXCITED WAITED ALMOST 6 MONTHS HAD TO SEPERATE MY ROOSTERS TO GET THEM TO START LAYING WORKED WITHIN THREE DAYS.

Back
Top Bottom