Jersey giants

May 15, 2020
I bought myself 7 jersey giants yesterday what are the need to knows about this breed? I read up on them I know they are friendly, docile and eye catching. Other than that I don’t know much.

Attachments

• E4AD1D30-CE8F-4D0C-8F89-3C0AF7190C42.jpeg
    E4AD1D30-CE8F-4D0C-8F89-3C0AF7190C42.jpeg
    587.8 KB · Views: 11
Those look like blue GJs, super cool, that is a cross of black and white jersey giants, white jersey giants are about a pound lighter. They Probobly need a lower roost, because the hens can weigh 12 pounds, with the roosters averaging 15 pounds, they are the largest purebred chicken breed. They were essentially bred to be a bird that replaced turkeys, but before they were released, commercial turkeys started to be more popular. I had a jersey giant cockerel for about 6 weeks, before he became a tool, he lives on a really big farm now with other roosters and 80+ hens. Cockerels of the breed are generally nice though. Hope this was helpful.
0623201051.jpg

Those look like blue GJs, super cool, that is a cross of black and white jersey giants, white jersey giants are about a pound lighter. They Probobly need a lower roost, because the hens can weigh 12 pounds, with the roosters averaging 15 pounds, they are the largest purebred chicken breed. They were essentially bred to be a bird that replaced turkeys, but before they were released, commercial turkeys started to be more popular. I had a jersey giant cockerel for about 6 weeks, before he became a tool, he lives on a really big farm now with other roosters and 80+ hens. Cockerels of the breed are generally nice though. Hope this was helpful.View attachment 2278592
Very helpful, like I said I did some reading on them before I purchased them. I hope they will be blue I look at that baby to adult color chart I thing I’ll have like 4 blues and 3 speckled. I want them to be lap chickens and well I’m not really sure how to do that.

Hand feeding them treats, and holding them, sitting with them and talking. That's the best you can do, his make sure to provide grit, I hand fed them dried oregano often. Chopped oats were a favorite as well.

I bought myself 7 jersey giants yesterday what are the need to knows about this breed? I read up on them I know they are friendly, docile and eye catching. Other than that I don’t know much.

I truly enjoy my two giants. They have an iridescent green sheen to their black feathers. I ended up with a rooster who is now my one rooster. He is a very energetic but not at all mean. My pullet lays light brown currently medium to small eggs with an occasional double yoker. Overall I would say they ar a slightly skittish but friendly bird. They are clumsy flyers though and my rooster has a tendency to land with a bang. Be sure to give them plenty of low roosting options due to their size.

Back
Top Bottom