Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

We live just 35 miles or so north of an area known as the "potato flats". It is an enormous ancient lake bed carved out by the glaciers long ago. This is potato country. A couple small dairy farms around the edges, rotational crops here and there of grain every summer but mostly just field after field of potatoes as far as the eye can see. When we drive down from the north you slowly gain elevation until you come upon the crest of the ridge just before you drop down into the "flats". You can see the entire ancient lake bed from there and during harvest time it can be quite an amazing sight. One of the farmers even still works his dad's old farmland (farmhouse now just functions as an office and break room for the hands) at the beginning of our road that probably totals 3 to 3 1/2 sections. Only farm north of the ridge. Everything else up here is just trees, trees and more trees with a scattering of small homesteads here and there (like our 65 acres) and cottages crammed on top of one another around anything that's big enough to be called a lake. We're logging country. Anyway, our farmer neighbor gives us all the russet potatoes we want every fall (I think it's his way of thanking us for keeping an eye on his acres that back up to our woods and chasing the idiots off his fields) and the grocery store in the flats just today was selling 5 lb bags of baking potatoes on sale 10 bags for $10. Used to grow potatoes ourselves but it hardly pays when we can even pick up 50 lb. bags Yukon Golds for $15.

Last edited:
Tara, please apologize to Foamy for me. I thought she was just having a drink, I didn't realize she was inspecting and testing the water for purity and taste.

You know, now that you have mentioned it, the potatoes I find in the grocery stores do NOT have sprouts. They used to, and I have used them many times to grow a potato house plant just for fun. The grocery potatoes (poor quality) with many slices and cuts in them - probably discards left after the good ones are harvested. The culls with mold and other 'niceties' are saved for stores. The only place I have seen good looking & tasting potatoes has been in restaurants. I loved baked potatoes. At fast food places that serve only fries, you can't tell what their previous condition was.
somad.gif
rant.gif
. Please cover the girls' ears I don't want them to hear this.

Yah know Foam Dome won't mind.

I bought and planted a pineapple top this spring. Need to repot it but thought the fact that in two years it may produce a pineapple fruit amazing...nice and green too.

I buy fifty pound boxes at the store that supplies restaurants and found their taters go bad really quick. I figure they are kept in some stasis and when the boxes come out to room temperature--you better use them like restaurants do...quickly as they go rubber or rot. Good gack! But an old potato is usually the best kind for chips or baking.

Ah, potatoes .. now you are talking!

On the menu tonight is whole baked potatoes topped with butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream .. bring it on!
droolin.gif

Sadly, with summer coming, it might be a while after tonight that I get to have them again .. salads here we come
roll.png

Microwave. My MIL would microwave potatoes in Alberta summers...even do bacon and paper towels. I use microwave to defrost meat I forgot to take out in the morning. That and making cheese sauce without burning it. LOL

Oct 14, 2016 - dinner

Boy we missed the boat...microwave the taters AND use that to compliment the bowl of chili and fresh buns Rick brought home...dang it all!

Oh well, always another day, eh. Always a new day to feed the horde that resides
tongue.png

Quote: ...

Yeh, memory still sorta working...got my Twits about me still...sorta?
old.gif

Anyway, the mineral/salt I use has had us get triplets, sheep that are from 2003 and 2005 still alive and kicking, the beasts consume it, seem to like it...so should I change when there deems to be no other changes other than maybe some new mineral/salt to try that is roughly now at the same price per bag ($42 for 25kg bag). Just dunno. Perhaps order the dozen bags I need to order up as part of our tonnage of the same old/same old and maybe pick up ONE bag of this new potentially better or not type and do my usual scientific study on it--put out both kinds and see what the users prefer by seeing which one gets depleted the most?

Would hate to buy new stuff because the prices now seem close only to find out, what you had (that KISS principle) was doing jest fine. Changes, choices...if'n the old stuff had stayed at $25 a bag, I'd be not questioning what I have always done.
barnie.gif

Anyhoo...enough ramblings about nothings...probably best I stay with what seems to be working but always gotta hash out changes...always gonna be changes we need to ponder about.

Second cuppa java and Rick just came for his first...heard on the radio this morn, most women are on their phones (some smart things, NOT!) seven hours more than the time they spend with their spouses each week. Hmm...either there are alot of happy MEN not being bothered by whatever these women are doing on their phones over being together with their man OR women like this are just plain stunned & stupidly addicted to their technology...either way, I don't own a stupid phone so I be saying "bye bye" fur now here and go be with the very best one in the world...the man I love and love to be with...later eh.

Tis Hero time...
love.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Hi Tara!
yes, it is a local "joke" in these parts about the "factory" taters being so chemicaled that the missed ones will be found like the stuff in jars in the pyramids a thousand years from now! Perfect tater soil for the factory farms is basically dead soil. First, it's pre-emergent herbicide, then stick the seed potatoes into the ground, hit with post emergent herbicide, then as the taters break ground, hit with chemical fertilizer and anything the soil test reveals needs correcting, then it's pesticide before "rolling" (burying) the plants. Then when they break thru again, repeat the cycle (except the burying part of course) as many times as needed. Then finally kill off the plants, one field at a time and depending upon variety, so you don't have to harvest everything at once. This is primarily done so each field of plants are all ready for harvest at the same time, already having begun the "hardening off" process of the skins. So yep, you're right, factory farm potatoes are nothing but little chemical bombs. We are fortunate however to be able to buy directly from a couple of certified organic growers. There used to be only one in the whole area but when organic and "sustainable" became popular it made it more profitable for some smaller operations to get certified as organic and switch over, especially when we had a market glut, the price plummeted and our government was paying growers not to plant potatoes. That allowed the small operations to "rest" their fields by planting cover crops to build their soil into real soil again and let nature clear those fields of the chemicals ( a required process to be certified) without taking a huge profit loss hit. Buying from these growers, practically streight from the field and curing them ourselves allows us to be able to have yummy potatoes of a couple varieties, all winter. We also have the benefit of an organic store only 40 miles from us that grew slowly over the years to where it is now in a new building and a full blown grocery store that gets in whatever is in season from ours and nearby states literally by the truckload and sells it for truckload prices! Just yesterday I bought huge heads of organically grown cauliflower for $2 a piece!!!
Oh yeah, and you are right. We watch the potato semis hauling loads of potatoes to the grocery stores year round from huge, temperature and humidity controlled, pole buildings. This keeps them from sprouting (along with the sprout retardant spray some growers add) and decomposing which naturally happens when the soil they would normally be in begins to warm up (aka normal room temperature). I remember as a youngster our root cellar holding potatoes well all winter.

ETA: forgot to mention that according to the potato pros proper potato storage is 38o F, high humidity and as dark as you can make it.

Last edited:
Tee hee Tara.. yep, always learning
wink.png
There are a couple of expat Aussies who I might just have a soft spot for
love.gif
and in a couple of months when I am melting in the heat and humidity I can pop in and drool over snow pictures
droolin.gif

I hear ya on the phone call thing. Some people thrive on drama .. I have lost count of how many times I have had a phone call about such and such being in hospital or someone else having a fall. “Thanks for letting me know and please let me know how (s)he is doing” apparently falls on deaf ears as I never seem to hear the outcome. “(s)he got better” is apparently not important
wink.png

Without fail my worse rude awakening had to be when I was awoken by a stranger in my lounge room. Just me, my son and the dog [Charlie-Bear] home at the time. I woke up to noises, saw a light [torch] and got up to investigate. Luckily robbery was all he appeared to have in mind and once sprung, he took off through the back door he had broken in from. Charlie-Bear remained fast asleep on the bed through the whole thing but did bark at the Police when they arrived
roll.png

Me and the gals had a great day in the garden yesterday and I wanted to share a couple of pics of my own before I return to Lurksville! *Chuckle*

My view from the gazebo .. my little piece of paradise
wink.png

Strike a pose!

Bath time!

One of our regular visitors to the top pond:

Teila, I love hearing about your adventures too. Maybe the dog should be renamed "Teddy Bear." When I was raising dogs -If someone would have broken in, the barking would have been thunderous maybe enough to scare a prowler. I doubt it tho, as soon as they'd see it was just a human they'd run to get their toys and show off.

Diva I lost Charlie-Bear on Christmas Day 2010 at 13 years. She succumbed to the epilepsy that had plagued her on and off all her life. It still hurts and no dogs for me for a while yet, if ever. Besides, the cats and chickens would probably not approve. I can love Emmest and Lacy from afar
wink.png

Edited to Add: Ooops, and Foamy! [Not feeling the love this week are ya Foamy?
wink.png
]

Last edited:
Teila, so sorry about Charlie Bear. I had pictured a huge Newfoundland due to the name BEAR. I lost my last Cocker Jan.1989 at 14. I haven't had a dog since but, love on the neighbors dog and any I meet during my walks.

A few years ago I checked out a large dog cage at a garage sale - just in case some stray would come looking for me. But, it was rusty at the bottom of door, where the previous occupant had drooled a lot.
sickbyc.gif

Thank you Diva

Tara, you hear nothing from me for months and then I hijack your thread! Lol I promise to give it back to you
wink.png

I picked up this large dog crate at my neighbours' garage sale for $20 but, of course, I had chickens in mind at the time [in particular broodies], not dogs
wink.png

Hey Tara back again, but this time with a question which you may be able to answer. I have asked in a thread I started but so far, no takers.

What can cause the tips of black chickens' feathers to go white?

This is a picture of Dusty [Bantam Langshan] in August 2014, the white bits are obvious [she moulted in April that year]:

Since that picture she has been all black at times and white tips at others. I noticed yesterday that she has white creeping back in again.

I have not managed to pin point a time-frame, for example pre moult or post moult, but I have noticed that in her three and a half years, sometimes she is all black and others, black with white tips.

I have a Bantam Cochin [aka Pekin here in Aus] and she is black and always been black, no intermittent white on her.

As this has been going on for years and besides a couple of crop issues being related to 'Eyes bigger than belly' syndrome
wink.png
, I am not concerned about her health as Dusty seems to be pretty healthy. No mites, lice or worms either.

I thought it could be environmental but I have no idea what and if it was, you would think it would affect my other black chicken. They have lived together in the same accommodation for over 3 years now.

Back
Top Bottom