Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
Hi Tara, coming from La where hot summer is 8 months. I have 2 different sets of eggs coming in 2 weeks and my DR wants me to see an Orthopedic surgeon to have my right knee replaced. Hate that. I have too many things going on right now. I have a small batch of 3 week olders in the storeroom (non insulated) and even with the A/C on it was 110 degrees inside. Kept running ice out to them. I have the fixins' to make a 5 gallon air cooler. I hope it will make a difference. I found it on youtube. I ordered a dozen Horstman and Urlch SG Dorkings. Couldn't turn down the chance. I had received 15 White Plymouth Rocks but all were scrambled. I reported back to the shipper and he is replacing them tomorrow. I need more space!!!!
celebrate.gif
Other than the knee, I'm a very happy camper. In fact this is the happiest I've ever been. I'm 67 by the way.
Good luck on your hatch Linda!
fl.gif

Linda, can you cut windows into that storage unit? It would help a lot, I'm sure. Maybe put a screen door on it too?

You know Lacy, the thought of windows has occurred to me but I never thought about a door. SIL just spent $700 getting partially insulated on his storeroom and I know that is not my option. The only thing is I won't need it after the babies get bigger. What am I talking about???? I have 2 more sets of eggs coming in 2 wks apart. First one is shipping today. The incubator is in my room and I put them out at 2 days old to the storeroom. My daughter is already rolling her eyes and talking about an intervention.
lau.gif

Yep, I think you need windows with good strong hardware cloth on them. Save the cut-out parts so you can close them when needed. Add a reinforced screen door that you can lock at the bottom as well as the top that little fidgety paws can't open. Perhaps find a way to put a tarp above the roof (not just on it) to make shade where the air can still freely pass over the roof. That should save you money and worry. What if your power went out? Your poor babies would be roasted.

After you get all that done, perhaps you could add a covered run for them so they can go outside.

Just a thought.

Yep, I think you need windows with good strong hardware cloth on them. Save the cut-out parts so you can close them when needed. Add a reinforced screen door that you can lock at the bottom as well as the top that little fidgety paws can't open. Perhaps find a way to put a tarp above the roof (not just on it) to make shade where the air can still freely pass over the roof. That should save you money and worry. What if your power went out? Your poor babies would be roasted.

After you get all that done, perhaps you could add a covered run for them so they can go outside.

Just a thought.

This is just a storeroom. I'm not making a coop out of it. I just wanted to cool it off some. I downloaded a video on the 5 gallon air cooler. I have most of the stuff including the small fan. I'm hearing thunder so we may get some more rain. I have a grow out pen that is 3' x 12' and I just need to put a opener back on it. I have the part and am going to attempt it myself. I'm not asking my SIL for anymore favors. I asked him to stop at the feed store and pick me up some shavings. The big bag for horses. Weighs about 60 or so lbs. He came home with the small $5 one that I could have gotten with the car. He hates chickens.
roll.png

Heel low:

Welcome to all you new persons!
love.gif

I had the flu (we had that dinner date with my SIL at their campsite out here Saturday-- stay a hermit!)
sickbyc.gif
and coffee'd my keyboard!

caf.gif

I feel sorta OK but it's not OK.
barnie.gif

Just got to go to buy another keyboard this weekend....
lau.gif

I have to cut and paste words
duc.gif
but photos work great.
lol.png

fruitful plants

See if you can find the really endangered pail Chicken!
love.gif

Fixins "which do I like...ducklings or chicks?" Aug 07 2014

Fear The Ducks!
lol.png

48 pails

It's just another day in paradise!

Few older Chants

Few older Booteds

veg Garden coop

them dawgs out and about

Foamy and Fixins

BAD DOGS!

My really fun planned project worked.
celebrate.gif

testing...testing...testing

All about enjoying the fun stuff...living life, eh?
celebrate.gif

woot.gif

So the Village Idiot's Garden has recovered...
gig.gif

tongue.png

I hope you all have a truly good day....
yesss.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Heel low:

Welcome to all you new persons!
love.gif

I had the flu (we had that dinner date with my SIL at their campsite out here Saturday-- stay a hermit!)
sickbyc.gif
and coffee'd my keyboard!

caf.gif

I feel sorta OK but it's not OK.
barnie.gif

Just got to go to buy another keyboard this weekend....
lau.gif

I have to cut and paste words
duc.gif
but photos work great.
lol.png

fruitful plants

See if you can find the really endangered pail Chicken!
love.gif

Fixins "which do I like...ducklings or chicks?" Aug 07 2014

Fear The Ducks!
lol.png

48 pails

It's just another day in paradise!

Few older Chants

Few older Booteds

veg Garden coop

them dawgs out and about

Foamy and Fixins

BAD DOGS!

My really fun planned project worked.
celebrate.gif

testing...testing...testing

All about enjoying the fun stuff...living life, eh?
celebrate.gif

woot.gif

So the Village Idiot's Garden has recovered...
gig.gif

tongue.png

I hope you all have a truly good day....
yesss.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the update!

I hope you feel back the normal soon. Flu is not fun.

Back
Top Bottom