Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
steam off your 'bare hands,???  or gloves? Instant frostbite

No... Bare hands. I shook the water off, wiped them on my pants and put them back in my gloves when they got cold... I was over dressed for the weather as impossible as that sounds and got away without wearing gloves quite a bit and opening up my jacket. We actually waited to see how long I could go before I had to put my gloves on and thats when someone got the picture. I could make snacks, fix fishing gear, take pictures etc, and then tuck my hands back in my gloves if they got cold.
There was almost no wind that day and the sun was out so that was a huge factor. At the end of the day it clouded over and the wind picked up. That's when it started to "feel" cold and we quit goofing around and packed up. We didn't catch any fish anyway.

Last edited:
Quote: I have lived several years in the state-side 'greatwhitenorth' also known as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I remember many days when the sun was out and the wind was dead, you could over heat if you didn't take a few layers off time to time, you don't want to start sweating and get wet inside all of the clothing.

Scott ( who did get down to his tee shirt splitting wood a few times)

Come on Scott, take a picture of your jacket lying on the ground, for Diva.
tongue.png

Yeah, you don't want to get sweaty when it's cold outside. The trick is to wear thin breathable clothing while moving, and warmer stuff while standing still.

Come on Scott, take a picture of your jacket lying on the ground, for Diva.
tongue.png

Yeah, you don't want to get sweaty when it's cold outside. The trick is to wear thin breathable clothing while moving, and warmer stuff while standing still.
Yep, I remember snowshoeing across our meadow next to the house in snow boots and a flannel shirt and jeans and getting overheated but having to grab the barn coat as soon as I got back and kicked the snowshoes off.

I spent a good share of my childhood in far more northern climes than my current adopted state. Though we learned all about layering, we never did learn the knack of dealing with extremities, particularly feet, As I recall, going ice skating usually meant at least 20 minutes of sitting on the floor crying as frost-nipped feet thawed out.
hide.gif

On rare occasions, we have gotten to revisit those earlier times, even here. Christmas of 1989 was one of those, when an all-time record low of 0o F (-18 C) was reached. We had an unusual snowfall at the same time - 15 inches (38 cm); I remember shoveling out my driveway in my shirtsleeves with the temperature in the teens. (yeah, yeah, I know, Diva. Didn't happen).
roll.png

The harder you work, the less you need to wear ,within reason, you don't want to panic the neighbors. I never understood why people would wear vests in cold weather - I figured their arms would freeze. Then I started shoveling - had to dump the parka and grab a down vest. Working up a sweat sometimes I don't even need gloves. But it's true once you stop moving - bitter cold. Once I come into the house I have to cover up till I stop shivering- it's the truth.

The wind makes a huge difference too. It can be brutally cold according to the therm. but, if there is no wind and bright sun - you can overheat easily.

Back
Top Bottom