Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
Thank you Tara :)

As always, enjoyable, humorous reading and educational also.

You are most welcome.
lol.png

So it being that ghosty goblin type day...all the kids (the young ones!) on the bus got fun treats from Rick and I (toys of hairy scary rings, stickers & tattoos, and wubber spiders/skeletons plus a themed pencil)...

So in keeping with that theme... well today is as good a day as any to....

SCARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or at the very least start to torment those of us that DO get the winter white!

A reminder...besides, they are predicting snow for Sunday...so may as well prepare for its arrival now.

Brace ourselves for those that DO get snow!
lol.png

Yeh...this is the one canopy on the 26th...yeh, on Sunday...

I took this purposely to show that this is NOW...and it may not scare you in particular...but it sure does me...

Here is a reminder of what this same area looked like on January 1st of this year...it did continue to snow and snow AND snow here but not gonna really frighten you's, just a funning bit tho!

Every two or three days, I was roof raking this amount of snow off the canopies...

Yeh, I said canopie"s"...there is a reason for the Parking Building being built...eliminates alot of these canopies and the roofs that need caring for in winter here! LOL

I roof raked some 200 feet by 20 feet every few days...made me tired and well even I believe I had my fill of snow and I truly DO love snow! Just maybe a bit less this coming winter perhaps??

Helper Dog Fixins...the snow continued after January first and it got to the point where I had to pull it back from the sides, to get more off the Roof!

OK...nuff funning about...here is another can be scary topic but we are gonna make it fun...fun...funner!
celebrate.gif

Do up the first installment of the Punnett Square BOO Dilution lessons...

Now don't be scared...don't be running off screaming...this one is easy peasy!

Jest playing with these...buncha toys...

Buncha harmless EGGS like these!
wink.png

So here we go...

BOO Dilution - Blue x Blue

The Parents...two blue eggs...

Blue Parent bred to Blue Parent

Now let's get filling in this Punnett Square...

So the genotype of each parent is Bl / bl"+" since both are Blue...so we put one of these alleles (a Bl or a bl"+") in each of the two boxes for the parents... A Bl in one box for the Dad parent and a bl"+" in the other box for the Dad parent...same thing fer the Mom.

Now we start to fill in what the kids (the outcome of the breeding) will be...Look up, Bl from the Boo Dad, combined with the Bl from the Boo Mom on the left...makes the first kid Bl/Bl.... YAH! Good job--not scary but fun fun fun stuff!
ya.gif

Now for the second kid...Look up, bl"+" from the Boo Dad, combined with the Bl from the Boo Mom on the left top...makes the second kid Bl/bl"+"...only two more squares to fill in...

Third kid...Look up, Bl from the Boo Dad brought down, combined with the bl"+" from the Boo Mom on the left ...makes the third kid Bl/bl"+".... one more square!
tongue.png

Fourth kid...Look up, bl"+" from the Boo Dad, combined with the bl"+" from the Boo Mom...makes the third kid bl"+"/bl"+"....DONE...the matrix is completed and filled in. Very
cool.png

So let's add the Phenotype...what them thar kids L00K like...

We know that Bl (for blue dilution) combined with wild type bl"+" (black or normal undiluted colour) = BLUE.
Two blue dilutions Bl/Bl = SPLASH.
Two normal for undiluted or black bl"+"/bl"+" = BLACK.

RATIO:
So the genotype ratio of breeding blue to blue is 1 Bl/Bl / 2 Bl/bl"+"/ 1 bl"+"/bl"+"
So the phenotype ratio of breeding blue to blue is 1 Silver/Splash/ 2 Blue / 1 Black

So have a very scary REST of the day...
big_smile.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

I know pretty much how old Tara is, but that is my top secret and top secrets cannot be told, smiling...I am reading this thread and following it for sure. There is so much that this gal has to say, the hours and hours of telling her farm tales, the pictures that accompany her words in the threads. Are we not blessed to have such wonderful stuff to enjoy our morning coffee over? It is a good day when Tara gets her stories and tales for us to read, see, and feel like we are walking by her side, as we live vicariously through her words, of her life on the farm. Tara, never stop being you, you are an amazing gal, and hold people spellbound by your posts, and with that too, have a most beautiful day, CynthiaMQ

Age is immaterial to me unless someone should be "tried" as an adult. I think people should celebrate birthdays with gusto without thinking about their age. Life isn't a race to see who crawls over the finish line last.

You are most welcome. :lol: So it being that ghosty goblin type day...all the kids (the young ones!) on the bus got fun treats from Rick and I (toys of hairy scary rings, stickers & tattoos, and wubber spiders/skeletons plus a themed pencil)... So in keeping with that theme... well today is as good a day as any to....
SCARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or at the very least start to torment those of us that DO get the winter white! A reminder...besides, they are predicting snow for Sunday...so may as well prepare for its arrival now. Brace ourselves for those that DO get snow! :lol:
Yeh...this is the one canopy on the 26th...yeh, on Sunday...
I took this purposely to show that this is NOW...and it may not scare you in particular...but it sure does me... Here is a reminder of what this same area looked like on January 1st of this year...it did continue to snow and snow AND snow here but not gonna really frighten you's, just a funning bit tho!
Every two or three days, I was roof raking this amount of snow off the canopies...
Yeh, I said canopie"s"...there is a reason for the Parking Building being built...eliminates alot of these canopies and the roofs that need caring for in winter here! LOL I roof raked some 200 feet by 20 feet every few days...made me tired and well even I believe I had my fill of snow and I truly DO love snow! Just maybe a bit less this coming winter perhaps??
Helper Dog Fixins...the snow continued after January first and it got to the point where I had to pull it back from the sides, to get more off the Roof!
OK...nuff funning about...here is another can be scary topic but we are gonna make it fun...fun...funner! :celebrate Do up the first installment of the Punnett Square BOO Dilution lessons... Now don't be scared...don't be running off screaming...this one is easy peasy!
Jest playing with these...buncha toys...
Buncha harmless EGGS like these! ;)
So here we go...
BOO Dilution - Blue x Blue
The Parents...two blue eggs...
Blue Parent bred to Blue Parent
Now let's get filling in this Punnett Square...
So the genotype of each parent is Bl / bl"+" since both are Blue...so we put one of these alleles (a Bl or a bl"+") in each of the two boxes for the parents... A Bl in one box for the Dad parent and a bl"+" in the other box for the Dad parent...same thing fer the Mom.
Now we start to fill in what the kids (the outcome of the breeding) will be...Look up, Bl from the Boo Dad, combined with the Bl from the Boo Mom on the left...makes the first kid Bl/Bl.... YAH! Good job--not scary but fun fun fun stuff!
:ya
Now for the second kid...Look up, bl"+" from the Boo Dad, combined with the Bl from the Boo Mom on the left top...makes the second kid Bl/bl"+"...only two more squares to fill in...
Third kid...Look up, Bl from the Boo Dad brought down, combined with the bl"+" from the Boo Mom on the left ...makes the third kid Bl/bl"+".... one more square! :p
Fourth kid...Look up, bl"+" from the Boo Dad, combined with the bl"+" from the Boo Mom...makes the third kid bl"+"/bl"+"....DONE...the matrix is completed and filled in. Very :cool: So let's add the Phenotype...what them thar kids L00K like... We know that Bl (for blue dilution) combined with wild type bl"+" (black or normal undiluted colour) = BLUE. Two blue dilutions Bl/Bl = SPLASH. Two normal for undiluted or black bl"+"/bl"+" = BLACK. RATIO: So the genotype ratio of breeding blue to blue is 1 Bl/Bl / 2 Bl/bl"+"/ 1 bl"+"/bl"+" So the phenotype ratio of breeding blue to blue is 1 Silver/Splash/ 2 Blue / 1 Black So have a very scary REST of the day...:D Doggone & Chicken UP! Tara Lee Higgins Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
EEEKKK!!!! :D Oh that is getting so easy it's downright SCARY!! :eek:. (I know, I know Halloween was days ago) I'm starting to get this I think, a little bit anyway. I actually tracked down (@ abebooks.com), an older copy of the APA SOP, so I can start educating myself further. I tried to find a copy of Creative Poultry Breeding, or even Poultry Breeding and Genetics, which sounded like another good one, but :( nothing out there right now. I was hoping maybe:rolleyes: to find one by and for Christmas. :rolleyes: I'll keep an eye out for one tho. ;) Oops! I just re read your post about emailing Veronica, I'll do that! :fl

Last edited:
Heel low:

Sorry...WAY too busy to stop and take a tally...just time for a sip of java and gotta fly...
D.gif

Great warmth here right now but there is a BIG dump of snow and -24C (-11F) coming...highs of -17C (1F)...still mere t-shirt weather, eh!
tongue.png

BTW Bama, it is a desk top from now on...more storage and better speed for less $...blew up two lap tops before I went back to a desk top last Christmas...also flicked off the keys on the laptops--too speedy a typer I suppose...that is until Rick got me one lap top replacer with a sealed surface but even then...me way better on desk top.

There is no more stuff left in the veg garden no mores...all harvested and done...done like part of dinner!

Nov 1 - 2nd to last of the potatoes harvested...red dog, red jacket, red potatoes...see in RED!

Rick made two trips on the one day this week (sheesh, the week's over already...must be having way too much FUN...time is jest flying by) to the feed mill because they finally called to say the order I pre-made was completed...that makes 24,200 pounds of feed and grains for me to stow, tidying up my hatching house for winter, prepping for moving the big sheep barn today, ewes are in with ram, and still clearing out pens (always doing that right up until too frozen to do so)...heat lamps and heated buckets in place AND moving the geriatric old ones to heatable quarters (turks and chooks--shutting in the one barn this year), moving the pair of Ruddy Shels today after clearing out the other half of the Taj (did the first half last night...the Mandarins love it!), getting ready to move the two pairs of swans to winter quarters...flurry of busy before the flurries!

And the young stuff...the young stuff growing up is getting finer and finer every day.

Got me that nice new clicker I asked for (whee!)...but still putting the subject matter to sleep...must be ME!

Oh yeh, and my surgery finally got scheduled for 18th...so got that to get prepped for...do as much pre-chores as humanly possible for the big day so I can fall down
th.gif
, very gracefully mind you..gracefully knowing the critters are all well and cared for.
gig.gif

So get back on here later when the dust...nope better REphrase that, when the flakes settle.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

Sorry...WAY too busy to stop and take a tally...just time for a sip of java and gotta fly...
D.gif

Great warmth here right now but there is a BIG dump of snow and -24C (-11F) coming...highs of -17C (1F)...still mere t-shirt weather, eh!
tongue.png

BTW Bama, it is a desk top from now on...more storage and better speed for less $...blew up two lap tops before I went back to a desk top last Christmas...also flicked off the keys on the laptops--too speedy a typer I suppose...that is until Rick got me one lap top replacer with a sealed surface but even then...me way better on desk top.

There is no more stuff left in the veg garden no mores...all harvested and done...done like part of dinner!

Nov 1 - 2nd to last of the potatoes harvested...red dog, red jacket, red potatoes...see in RED!

Rick made two trips on the one day this week (sheesh, the week's over already...must be having way too much FUN...time is jest flying by) to the feed mill because they finally called to say the order I pre-made was completed...that makes 24,200 pounds of feed and grains for me to stow, tidying up my hatching house for winter, prepping for moving the big sheep barn today, ewes are in with ram, and still clearing out pens (always doing that right up until too frozen to do so)...heat lamps and heated buckets in place AND moving the geriatric old ones to heatable quarters (turks and chooks--shutting in the one barn this year), moving the pair of Ruddy Shels today after clearing out the other half of the Taj (did the first half last night...the Mandarins love it!), getting ready to move the two pairs of swans to winter quarters...flurry of busy before the flurries!

And the young stuff...the young stuff growing up is getting finer and finer every day.

Got me that nice new clicker I asked for (whee!)...but still putting the subject matter to sleep...must be ME!

Oh yeh, and my surgery finally got scheduled for 18th...so got that to get prepped for...do as much pre-chores as humanly possible for the big day so I can fall down
th.gif
, very gracefully mind you..gracefully knowing the critters are all well and cared for.
gig.gif

So get back on here later when the dust...nope better REphrase that, when the flakes settle.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
It does amaze me all of the little bitty computers out there now. A good desktop will last 5 plus years. Tablets are designed for a year or so but now much more. Laptops are expected to make it 2 plus years.

The little ones are disposable too so they cannot be repaired for the most part. People will usually spend a lot more money on them over the life of a desktop.

Heel low:

D.gif

tongue.png

th.gif
gig.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery from what ever knife work you are getting done. It sounds like the weather people are thinking that the flakes will be unsettled for a while, be carefull!

edit to add: Rick can get 6 ton of feed in a load, he has a real good truck!
Scott

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom