Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

You know until the invention of the first trains, the fastest thing (well people) on earth were the (oh crap, brains not working...) Huns ( or Mongols, can't remember
hmm.png
) on horse back... From outpost to outpost they would eat, drink, sleep on there horses... Switch horses at the outpost and continue... The sweat from the horses as well as the body heat cured the meat the riders ate... Amaizing people... I'm leaning toward it being the Mongolians now...

Yeh, I seen a few shows on the Huns/Mongols...they put meat under the saddle and tenderized it too. Sorta like the trucker cooking lunch on his engine block. Hee hee...

I guess the Romans wanted to portray the Huns as uncivilized heathens, but I saw another program few days ago that showed some of the gold jewellery (leave us alone please payments made by the Romans...was easier to pay them in tons of gold coins than fight them...mafia like eh!) they were making...for themselves and their steeds. Very wildlife orientated...the wolf pieces are spectacular...semi-precious stones. I think there is a reason they wanted to look fierce...you can defeat your enemies certainly with intimidation...so if you looked crazy, not alot of people really wanna mess with you... My father is living proof of that...flaming red facial hair, steely blue piercing eyes, long flowing blond hair--huge mountain of a man. He use to bounce in a blue collar town fulla miners, loggers and fishermen. Rumour went round quickly the very first night he was on duty...he opened both the front doors of the one bar with the heads of the each one of the two men he had tucked under each arm. Them boys thought they were gonna break up some of the furniture, instead they got shipped up to ER for some bandaging for their broken heads. There is also a film made when he first showed up of him eating raw beef...I still remember it well...whomever did it musta been ahead of their time...filming was not like U Tube (nfi) is now. Yeh...I spent many a Saturday night cleaning my purse and washing my hair, eh.

Yeh, even today the invaders that can replenish and keep on the move--the easy keepers and travellers...already have the cards stacked in their favours to win.

Huns or Mongols...??

This Yahoo answer seems plausible...
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071123210538AAQ2awP:

I personally admire both peoples. I'd like their lives...tough but interesting and very keen on the one with nature. A yert and moving is kinda a kewl way to live--they love their beasts, birds and their dogs. I mean who don't dream about hunting wolves with yer Golden Eagle...yeh, how neat is that?

Course I'd want poultry of some kind...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

I remember reading some book that proclaimed "after Attila the Hun rode through, the grass never grew green again." Wow, that was really fierce. I used to quote that line often. My friends - thought I was quite daft at a young age. Maybe so but, lovin' it
tongue2.gif

All this meat cooking under the saddle reminds me of a TV program I saw a couple years back. They wanted to modernize the concept, so they tried cooking meat under the hood of the car. Worked pretty nicely. I've also seen some show where they had to drive 3 hours to spend thanksgiving somewhere, and they decided to use the car to cook the meal. They measured temps in different parts of the engine compartment, and calculated when they need to stop and add different things in there. They cooked the whole meal in that car, it was pretty cool. I don't know how it tasted though.

It tasted "greasy"

I have history on the brain it seems...
I believe it was when Napolian was invading Russia or maybe WW1 (yikes that a historical gap!) Any way Russia has done the scorched earth thing more than once during invasion/retreat... The only food left for both armies was rye seed... The Russians thrived, the other army starved. Why? The Russian soldiers kept the rye in a little pouch under their clothing up agaist their skin. The heat and sweat sprouted the seed increasing the nutrition... The other army ate it unsprouted ... I'm not looking it up, but please someone correct me on when this happened if you would :D

I remember reading some book that proclaimed "after Attila the Hun rode through, the grass never grew green again." Wow, that was really fierce. I used to quote that line often. My friends - thought I was quite daft at a young age. Maybe so but, lovin' it
tongue2.gif

Horses are supposedly tough on pasture...bwa ha ha...one could imagine the carnage of humans right on to the grazing lands should a horde like that come traipsing along! :p

The "some book" you read is "Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun"... do a google search your line about the grass and Attila and there is a pdf file to download the book.

George Watsky is a rapper that wrote a song with Attila the Hun mentioned...as with most of these artists, the song contains jest a few off colourful words. Never heard the song so no idea if I would like it.

His Bet Against Me song has a line "Attila the Hun is coming, we're killin his horde" and makes reference to village idiot, so kinda interesting.

Yeah Tara people who were one with nature... Some still are, very admirable indeed.

Less impact on the Planet. Those that bring more than they use up. Givers over the takers, eh! People keeping the precious things going onwards.

All this meat cooking under the saddle reminds me of a TV program I saw a couple years back. They wanted to modernize the concept, so they tried cooking meat under the hood of the car. Worked pretty nicely. I've also seen some show where they had to drive 3 hours to spend thanksgiving somewhere, and they decided to use the car to cook the meal. They measured temps in different parts of the engine compartment, and calculated when they need to stop and add different things in there. They cooked the whole meal in that car, it was pretty cool. I don't know how it tasted though.

I'd wonder about the fuel fumes...I don't mind a char broiled dinner additive but not sure how good diesel or gas would be...all carcinogens I suppose. Anyone for flambé on a Lamborghini? Hmm...would love to be able to say my vehicle was a household expense and see what kinda budgeting one could wrangle over that to roust up extra money to get one.

"But I NEED the red one...it does all my cooking..." :-/

It tasted "greasy"

I have history on the brain it seems...
I believe it was when Napolian was invading Russia or maybe WW1 (yikes that a historical gap!) Any way Russia has done the scorched earth thing more than once during invasion/retreat... The only food left for both armies was rye seed... The Russians thrived, the other army starved. Why? The Russian soldiers kept the rye in a little pouch under their clothing up agaist their skin. The heat and sweat sprouted the seed increasing the nutrition... The other army ate it unsprouted ... I'm not looking it up, but please someone correct me on when this happened if you would
big_smile.png

Greasy...oh you are bad...oily, greasy! :-D

Well I never searched for it but sprouted grains certainly ARE more nutritious as in having lots of vitamins, they seem to say! Sprouted grains lessen the things some people are allergic too like lectins.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Ghengas Kahn

"Genghis Khan was once said to have issued all his horsemen with silk vests, as an arrow hitting silk does not break it but ends up embedded in the flesh wrapped in silk, allowing the arrow to be removed by gently teasing the silk open, as opposed to the usual method of removing barbed arrows, cutting them out or pushing them right through an injured limb and out of the other side. These silk vests functioned much like the padded armour used by European and Byzantine soldiers of the era, such as the gambeson."

The fact that the warriors didnt stop fighting even with arrows imbeded in their bodies was a terrifying sight.

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_armour

Ghengas Kahn empire

http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h11mon.htm

Love history love love love it

deb

Thanks Henn.... I get fuzzy too thats why I back it up with some sources.

Anything to do with horses and battle is very interesting to me. The Mongols were amazing horsemen and their horses Tough and fast were little more than ponies....

deb

Back
Top Bottom