Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Hi Tara! Haven't been on in a while and sure miss your posts. Always love your pictures of the dogs in the snow and the cinnamon buns look really good. I read the link on the wool mattress and looks so comfy, but a lot of work. I'm sure the end product is worth all the work.

Ah, ain't you sweet dropping in to say HI!

I am getting quite surprised that the lot of work on the mattress may not be that...not when I see organic mattresses going to thousands of dollars here and seeing in places like Paris, a mattress may be ordered in a day. Now the ones in France and Italy, it is like this heritage trade, so we are talking about generations that have had the skills and the equipment to make the wool mattresses, but I have hope that once I get rocking and rolling, within a month I should have a new bed. Here's hoping.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075978/counting-sheep-gonna-wanna-sleep-bedroom-by-moi-critters

I do know my interest in fibre is helping and things like Stanely the Stainless (therapy tub we have repurposed to brood baby birds in) will have to step up and maybe be used to wash my raw fleeces in, but it seems the more I look into this (cotton mattresses, there are US publications with links on my post...on how to make those ones), the more I see I have the equipment already or near ready (Rick can make me a fleece sorting table or even just cut the lumber for me and I can cut and attach the hardware cloth--got rolls of it stocked up)...and I wondered what the heck I was going to be doing with the hundreds of pounds of Jacob fibre we had stocked up...now I know...never question fate, eh!
lol.png

So warm weather, with wind...Chinook and plus ten...gonna get cold again next week...so...

Great time to attack any snow not slid off roof...
wee.gif

heavy snow gone off roof...bye bye!

Dogs were loving the weather...Lacy with a great big ol' winking smile
big_smile.png

So the mulling over exactly WHAT seeds to order has begun...the many mail order seed catalogues have me well entertained...but crunch time approaches.

Gonna fire up the greenhouse, bite the big one of responsibility to keep it watered, the fans going and the major incentives this year over the past ones...Canadian dollar sucks so imported foods are atrocious...AND we can grow alot of our food...so time to step up since the quality is always better than that picked unripe and shipped here...tender lettuce, delicious tomatoes....yeh...very pumped about this and need to be.

This year, ordering a book on how to save seed...so gonna need to let some things go ripe and to seed. See how that goes. I mean I use to get all disappointed because I would grow potatoes to only see them like ten bucks for fifty pound box...so why bother...well OK...taste wise better, good for you better (no pesticides here, I know what I used to make them grow and produce), the self-sufficiency theme is fed...I feel good about myself and what we are eating...and saving money... Right about now it makes economical sense to take our dirt and make that work for us with gorgeous outputs...add in the fact I am eyeing purple flowered sugar peas (oh the dog gals are gonna luv this...bounty of sugar peas for them puppers!), black tomatoes, chocolate bell peppers, perennial greens, Oka melons, corn, Russian Blue potatoes (grown these before...delicious!), etc. etc. etc. Plus my cash will help keep the seed saver types' businesses ongoing. Win, win, win...
celebrate.gif

Major seeds to come from...

https://heritageharvestseed.com/:

Based out of Manitoba...they get winters like we do, but their summers, in many cases, so hot you could fry an egg on the pavement...I kid you not...visited my evil chook keeping Gran (what a lady...grand old lady that kept illegal chickens in Winnipeg...luved her spunk!) one summer, my sis and I near died from the heat...ran from one air conditioned premises to the other...SO HOT! LMBO...

Having one heck of a time trying to decide on what beans to get (55 day on some for harvesting...sweet!), what tomatoes...oh my...too many choices, and all the varieties are as stated above in the quote...nice.

Pirkstine Orange...an orange paste tomato...yeh, so...from Latvia...my Father's homeland...yeh, gotta get me some seed of that...

And so the disparity continues...TOO many choices....hee hee... I think I have narrowed it down to just eight tomato varieties, but who knows where this shall go...gotta get real tough because that greenhouse has to hold alot more than tomats, eh.

http://mapplefarm.com/Mapple_Farm/_____Mapple_Farm_Online_2016____..html

So here be my list from Mapple...adjustments will be made...I can't have them all and yet...hee hee...seeds do take up ever so little space...STOP IT! I gotta be good and slim down my seediness...hee hee.

• Tomato - Coyote (yellow sweet cherry), Black Plum, Mystery Keeper (you harvest this one GREEN and it can be kept till like Easter...incredible)
• Wonderberry
• Tomatillo, Indian
• Garden Soybean - Butterbean
• Beans - Provider, Rocdor, Purple Peacock & Jumbo Romano
• Cucumber - Parade
• Zucchini - Black
• Corn - Orchard Baby
• Melon - Nutmeg & Oka (Yes...Oka melons to go with my Oka chickens...CHANTECLERS!)
• Watermelon - Early Moonbeam & Blacktail Mountain
• Winter Squash - Golden Hubbard, Banana, & Honey Boat
• Pumpkin - Styrian Hulless
• Turkish Rocket
• French Scorzonera
• Gobo, Shosaku

Ah well, having choices, so many, that in itself is marvelous!
celebrate.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Forget about farm work, I have dirty dishes & pots still sitting in the sink from 3 days ago. Have to wash them soon - I'm out of utensils but, do have some paper plates.

Sorry Scott - after my public shaming, I actually DID all the dishes even with real hot water & soap. If I pace myself I may be able to go a week before doing them again.
celebrate.gif

I feel so much better now.

Doesn't seem like it's time to start thinking about a garden, but won't be long before the Spring veggies are ready to plant. I do raised bed gardening and have to be choosy about what I plant....not near enough space. I do pretty good with tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash. I'm going to try some potatoes and peas this Spring and see how they do.

Heel low:

We interrupt this thread with a message...an important one (plus pretty busy...so jest one message pour moi today, eh).
cool.png

So like do you...Do you...???
hu.gif

Well here's some proof...
tongue.png

Play time at the Ranch...
big_smile.png

Did you SEE that?
barnie.gif

There it goes again...
ep.gif

Well do yah??