Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Heel low:

So after spewing somewhat the past few posts...some questions for the readers...you paying attention to the free information?? Time to show me why I bother to cast my noggin stuff out thar.

Breeding poultry is a science and a what?

What comb type did some judged at a sanctioned show Chanteclers have?

Would you never succeed at this Fancy if you did not have a mentor?

Are you a lost case and a failure if you do not seek out a "jury of your peers or equals" to judge your breeding birds?

Do you have to exhibit your poultry to be a breeder that follows the words found in the Poultry Standards?

I never earned my opinions for free, cost me big time in time, effort, money...some of my library books took six weeks and many hundreds of dollars to receive. Then after just acquiring them means I had yet more work in store...took time reading, understanding, re-reading and then applying & testing. Don't ever think I quote lines because I have not myself TESTED these words myself to make sure I am satisfied these words are true. I howl when people try, pathetically too...try to discredit the scientific methods used. Issue here is when you use the scientific method, you say what you did and why, you go thru the methods used to show it can be repeated by others and tested to prove what you believe to be the truth is real. Here, this is what I thought, this is how I did it, get on it and repeat and report back the results...did you find it replicatable? Can you repeat the experiment and put what I say happened to the test and know it is real?

You cite the hypothesis...the theory and you then test the science...you replicate the experiment and you validate the outcome is the reality. Far too complicated for many and for them to actually sit and type out text from a book...sure I make spelling errors, transcription errors and end up with tired fingees but here is my source (sometimes original, my imagination run WILD or sometimes, as there is usually nothing NEW under the sun, eh...sometimes proving someone else's observations and conclusions...the more insight the merrier and the more likely us humans will get it right) and after saying what made me start wanting to prove the statement...I will post here what I did to prove that theory...in photos, in graphic colour, for you all to determine if you too think it might be worthy of some validity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method:
Course y'all know that the SCIENCE in the scientific method is gonna ruffle the feathers of those advocates that will say, "do as I say!" and want you to concur without questioning. They believe that in some illustrious way...because they tell you to do something, you should They are not our parents, they are not our kings or queens...they don't pay the feed bills, don the cold weather gear and trudge about taking care of the beasts and birds. They have no right to tell anyone what to do if they too cannot systematically tell you and SHOW you why the advice they are giving works. That be the rux...the monkey wrench in the machine...not every method works in every situation, not for every person or situation. I think the best tool kit contains multiple methods to skin a [email protected] you can try a bunch of them (monkey bananas?) and hope ONE method works and off you go again, having fun and lounging about in bliss.
tongue.png

I roar when you get persons that think by crowning themselves these big wigs in the Fancy...we the lowly persons need to pay homage to them like we are the surfs and they be the royalty. HA...I have seen seven year old children, newbies wet behind the ears in their greenhorness bestow words of wisdom lost to the oldtimers and their set ways and blinders. The one comment a person made about HyBlade...that he was TAN instead of the dog sport terminology RED...was the doG's honest truth...proven by DNA colour testing and ripping apart what we knew to be the truth staring us in the faces. New eyes, old problem. Kennel blindness, comparable at times to COOP blindness.

I'll follow someone, I'll admire and converse with you...but I need to actually see your greatness thanks...not hear about your tales of it...string you along because you can baffle us with your cowcrap.

The Scientific Method means you are always working on it...the science in the poultry Fancy means it is ongoing (never mind that art part also is always you working in a project tweaking this and that!)...you never EVER stop your experiments & reworks, your observations, your testing your theories and comparing your outcomes. I recall being told that I was going to "scare the newbies" by telling it like it is.

Aim for zero predation, happy housing facilities, a good start from a person that has or acquired years invested in a good strain(s),

Yes, it costs likely the same amount in money to build facilities to contain a flock of chickens as it costs to have a show dog that is genetically tested and conformationally titled. Sure the components are not one dog, but many chickens...but add it up with hardware cloth, metal roofing, four compartments, likely one pen away for quarantine, cost of bedding and storage (first year the hay tarp gets rodent holes in it and you lose product to moisture dripping down the bales...always the hole is between squares, murphy's law, and ruins multiple bales, but I digress...), you end up buying feed in volumes to try and save money and the hassle of popping round the feed store for the week or month's supply (unnecessarily exposing yourself, vehicle and even the bags to communicatable diseases to haul home to infect your flock unwittenly!)...people call it chicken math in the want to have more...the fun of breeding better examples, the challenges you want to try beating...the hobby looks innocent and cheap. Then you get into it and realize, you coulda had a dog kennel for the same efforts...LMBO

Here's some logic & science I expect many of you will enjoy. Blue dog Emmy...she is labelled a blue in the Australian Cattle Dog (correctly Blue, Black & Tan)...but she is not blue in the sense of the background here on BYC. She is a mixture of black & white hairs that give the illusion of being blue. IN real essence for us artsy fartsy types...blue is GREY...because when you take that paint of white and black and mix it on your pallet...you made grey...not blue. The way light works and the way our human eyes and brain interpret this, there are no blue feathers. All the feathers are GREY but under the right light conditions appear blue. NO BLUE FEATHERS...'kay?

So you would figure, good enough...it ends there...nope...now the science of that...we all should know by now, black pigment is eumelanin and no pigment is white.

What finer science then does for you...what so many others that spew on colour genetics are doing...drives me nuts too...is they do not understand the science of the colour genetic pallet. Yes, lot like mixing paints...the kids I teach we finger paint...we get messy and have some fun...and by doing and learning and getting dirty...they remember it.

So the beginnings in understanding blue pigments in bird feathers is to understand the BASICS of how the pigment black and no pigment white is made. Feathers are protein, just like our finger nails. Happy birds express good feathers...all the right conditions in place and the correct attitude and your bird glows with healfulness...gold star for you who care so well for your property!
wink.png

To understand a topic, you need to start at the beginning and build upon that solid foundation...that knowledge...sometimes rather boring and tedious...but hey, you crawl, you walk before you run or you run head long into that barn, eh. Silly for being in such a rush to the finish line...it is not the end result you enjoy but the ongoing journey...
he.gif

Black pigment is speedier than red pigments...black pigments are ROD shaped when influenced by blue dilution...the rod shape means the black pigment has a harder time to enter the feather than it usual ROUND black pigment shape. Here is how blue dilution (one dose or two) limits the expression or dilutes otherwise black feathered birds. Red pigments are spherical or oval shaped, slower to be expressed and blue dilution does not affect red pigments (only ever slight lightening of red pigments happen in birds with blue dilution, usually for other reasons than its presence) because the shape is different in red pigments and the keratin has troubles entering the feather.

We say that blue dilution (different location than black so not alleles at the same location) is epistatic or dominant (hypostatic is recessive) to extended black because blue dilution makes the black pigment change in shape and amount expressed...the shape of the melanosomes (granules or sacks that contain melanin) is altered and because the shape is different...they have a more difficult time entering the keratin (fibrous structural protein) of the feather.

So you know the basics...blue dilution changes the shape in black pigment which prevents (dilutes) the full expression of the colour. A physical barrier to the smooth (defined by shape) transport of pigment from being seen or expressed.

You would have a black pigmented feather fully black and in all its glory if blue dilution did not pounce on the black shaped granules, change the shape to make the transport harder. That is the nuts and bolts of it and now that you know that...you are even more dangerous that you were five minutes past.
tongue.png

Why teach...because I don't want you bothering me...do it fur yerself, eh!
tongue.png

You won't be bamboozled by these half educated colour genetic goons. My wants...you answer yer own questions--stand on your own two feet and do it yerself...leave me alone as I am busy getting into my own predicaments too (LOL)...
smack.gif

You can give a man a fish and he won't starve that day or you can teach a man to fish and know he can take care of himself for his lifetime! Not my original quote but so true.
lau.gif

Black bird...NO blue dilution in this one, eh
NOTE the beetle green sheen on the female's head...she does not have a purple sheen which would tell you...
That she has RED pigments ... the GREEN sheen shouts BLACK pigments...YIPEE
You want a black base with as little red as possible...NO RED! er you see red...har har
somad.gif

So when someone says, a blue bird is a black bird dilute to blue...how would you NOW approach that statement? By giving up the real finer details, you lose the understanding...you stay DUMB in my opinion...you cannot progress from walking or crawling and are doomed to stay there instead of soaring...not just running but leaping and flapping. You free yourself from the dull and ignorant. Correct the statement to say, "a blue bird is a black bird that has some of the black pigment diluted to leave you with a grey bird in the black and white pigments expressed." A grey bird would make better sense in that it is a mixture of black & white and therefore is grey that looks blue in the correct light.

Blue = black & white...so remove some black in an otherwise black bird and you are left with some white and black...GREY or blue.
gig.gif

BOO bird...head is often darker simply more black pigment thar,
feathers are physically different shape...texture, never forget the structure plays out how the pigments are seen too!
sneak a peak back at the black above...her head seems DARK than her bod too...
Birds never lie, they reveal their past, history/ancestors read like a book, page by page

SEE the difference...you are NOW even more arm and dangerous because you understand LOGICALLY and methodically what blue dilution is doing...changing the shape of the black pigment cells to make it more difficult to enter the feather as pigment to be expressed and seen there. Be like clogging up a sieve that use to allow water to flow unimpeded from it.

So did I SCARE THE NEWBIES all away with the proper explanation? Did I edumacated you all better so now you are a force to contend with...you don't need me...you are fully able to be fledged and make like the rest of the adultish birds and flock off on your owns?
D.gif

Cripers, the point to knowledge is to set you free so you can answer question all by yourself, not need persons like me to dissect and answer your ever ponder.

Here's yer test...what is there some darker feathers on this bird's face...

This female is splash...so two doses of blue dilution...but still blue dilution is doing what to her BLACK pigment?

Another GREAT bonus in the above click of one of my birds...on the feathers above her tail...see that leaky RED pigment. This shows you that to make A GREAT splash bird...you truly do want to start with a perfectly BLACK bird to dilute the pigments by. You want no red in the bird because...AHA...see what happens, the red peaky feathers above on her tail are gonna show up...the birds never LIE...they tell you, this bird now reveals the less than perfect black bird she was before the addition of two blue dilutions...right?

So we got a black, a blue, a splash and another blue
Can you SEE the black in the feathers leaking in the wing of one of these blues? Can yah?

The first blue well sure is easy to SEE she has less black pigment (richness of eumelanin) than the other blue on the end. She has expressed a less rich blue colour. Blue as in grey, right? You can see in black birds, some are a richer black...well the same screams in the blues and the splash too...how much black in the base is being altered?

Want proof that blue is not blue but grey...lookit your blue birds in the shade...you got no blue birds, then look at real wild blue birds...Jays and such...a Blue Jay in the shade is grey (or grAy if you are in the States, eh).
lol.png

OK you Whipper snapper grasshoppers...wanna get tested...here you go...visuals (as always) to set the stage,

What the double Hockey sticks is this...then?
hu.gif

We in the Fancy in NA call this Blue Fawn...stupid name I know but it is what it is...
Hobby names (another good lesson!) more often than not do not tell the
colour genetics that make the colour variety...AGH!

So for those (and by golly we've seen this variety on the steady decline since recognition!) not in the know...when you breed a Grey Call (wild pattern Mallard colour) to a Blue Call you get a Blue Fawn Call...the black in the grey call becomes blue and voila...Blue Fawn. But you figure you see persons doing that...naugh...they breed blue fawn to blue fawn and because blue dilution never breeds true...

Pastel hen...sorry about her head feathering...breeding season and well, you waterfowl owners know...
lol.png

Statistically you get from a blue fawn to blue fawn = one grey, two blue fawn and one pastel (ah ha...you see how much the blue dilution dilutes the black...a splash grey could be another more correct name for a Pastel Call...hee hee).
big_smile.png

Blue fawn on left and grey call on right

To avoid a washed out too light background blue fawn, you have to redo the cross that made them in the first place...the blue and the grey...hilarious really until you see how not knowing the genetic makings and how & where the colour varieties came from. Ignorance is bliss I guess...as we watch the quality of the varieties slip slide and degrade over time and ignorance. Can't keep the colour correct if you don't know the way it is made.

Beautiful blue fawn...because her breeder KNOWS her roots...
the birds never lie!

That be that...fur what it's worth...
yippiechickie.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Heel low:

So after spewing somewhat the past few posts...some questions for the readers...you paying attention to the free information?? Time to show me why I bother to cast my noggin stuff out thar.

Are you a lost case and a failure if you do not seek out a "jury of your peers or equals" to judge your breeding birds?

Do you have to exhibit your poultry to be a breeder that follows the words found in the Poultry Standards?

Quote:
I am thinking about this
Scott

Good. And when we see your answers plus answers from five other persons...more genetic type info will continue to flow.
tongue.png

For now, a review on the aspect of GENDER in poultry...page 25 of this very thread...funny going back...the parking building was starting...Fixins was here doing the helper dog thing too...Foamy also...

October 2014...so indeed a review, eh....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now let's dig in to the gender genetics of birds...

Now of course, I will use ducks to demo...but this applies to ducks, chickens, turkeys, swans, pheasants, peafowl, partridge, quail, turkeys, etc. ...birds in general plus some reptiles, Komodo dragons (way kewl!), some fishes, some prawns, some insects, even moths and butterflys...yada yada yada

What is called the ZW system...go to the Wikipedia link to read a bit more...only what, four paragraphs...so not too overwhelming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system

We should know that gender is not determined the same in birds like in mammals (that's the XY system, not the ZW system!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_sex-determination_system

Course this above link is longer than four or so paragraphs...but of course it is about humans, so we tend to go into more depth on, well...us!
roll.png

Now it is a no brainer (or should be I expect) to follow along the first bit here...

A Mom and a Dad will have a 50/50 chance of having a boy or girl baby...whether fruit fly, human or bird!
big_smile.png

So there is a Punnett Square...don't let it flub you up...it is a useful tool...get to know it and use it. After you master the Punnett Squares...then items like the chicken calculator make lots of sense...but for now, we are crawling here...before we run...run along head long into TROUBLE! LOL

I have had seven year old kids get Punnett Squares...it is like a GAME...so make it a game and enjoy it for the FUN it may be!

From my website, Tales from Rat World page...genetics definitions:
When Mom (pink) is bred to Dad (blue) you may see the phenotype (what they look like!) of the kids will be two blue boys and two pink girls. There is a likelihood of 50% girls and 50% boys! Pretty simple, eh.

I expect most all of us can guess at this part...as to the outcome. What is more difficult and why I am doing this is the genotype (the genetics that command what happens) is the more difficult part! So let's get that part under our belts...

In birds, the Mom determines the gender...unlike in humans (mammals) where the Dad determines gender.

A girl human is XX and a boy human is XY...the Y makes the boy, a male!

A girl bird is Zw and a boy bird is ZZ...the w makes the girl, a female!

Pink girl duck MOM is Zw and Blue boy duck DAD is ZZ

So let's work this out on the Punnett Square...so we may show how the genetics of gender are inherited in birds...yee haa!

So we fill in the Punnett Square...the female (Mom) is on the right side and since she is a Z and a w...we put one Z in one side box and one w in the next side box as the P1 gametes for the female parent...she is Zw and is able to give her offspring one of either sex chromosome...a Z or a w.

Now for Dad at the top...a boy (Dad) is on the top and since he is a Z and a Z... we put one Z in one top box and one Z in the next top box across as the P1 gametes for the male parent...he is ZZ and is able to give his offspring only one of the sex chromosomes...a Z or a Z.

So got that...Zw split into a Z and a w for Mom (pink duck) and the ZZ split into a Z and a Z for Dad (blue duck).

So we go across from Mom and take her Z across on the first line in two places for each kid in the F1 generation.

Her w across the second line in two places.

Now Dad extends his Z down the first two boxes for each kid he sires and then his second Z down the second two boxes...joining the Mom's...

So we have F1 kids that are ZZ, ZZ and Zw, Zw...these may also be written Z/Z and Z/Z and Z/w and Z/w.

There we explained how what we already know to be true in the phenotype in the GENOTYPE!

celebrate.gif

Are you proud...are you understanding this...I sure hope so!

And we can now fill in the ratio of the outcome in the kids (progeny or F1 generation).

There on the bottom of the matrix (Punnett Square) is the word "RATIO:"

ZZ / ZZ / Zw / Zw = 50% / 50% = 1:1

The ratio is 1 to 1 or half girl and half boy babies...

ya.gif

Information on the longer male Z chromosome may contain genetic instructions but on the shorter female w chromosome, there is no room for any information...

The boys in the bird world have bigger WALLETS than the boys in the mammal world...the purses in the bird world for the girls totally suck. No room fer nothing...no bandaids, no antacid tablets, no safety pins, no pain killer aspirins, no change for the parking meters, no lighter, no flashlights, pens, pencils, notepaper, no mini-tool sets...nope, the girl bird's purses are useless to hold anything... In the bird world, the boys have HUGE wallets for holding all that stuff.

Stuff like some of the information on the male Z chromosome can be things like barring/cuckoo, the colour chocolate, silver or gold colour in the S-series, skin colour like Id or W, speed of feathering, ...etc. We can go into that later but for now...that be that!

Here is a photographic review, ducks again (go figure, eh?)...Rubber Duckies no less.
gig.gif

How can anything that can be explained using WUBBER DUCKIES be difficult...

This is kid's play, easy peasy...fun fun FUN stuff I say!

Rubber Duckies...now sing along with me!
wee.gif

Phenotype of P1 Parents - Mom & Dad

Mom is Zw and Dad is ZZ

Rubber Ducky
You're so fine
And I'm lucky that your mine
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fond of you

Mom is w and Z / Dad is Z and Z
I would have just put the Z first and the w second on the left side of the matrix for the Moma Duck...the outcome in the ducklings is still the same ratio...two boys, two girls...

Comment as of Jan 8 2017....That too was when I invented the genetic PURSES and WALLETS to also help wade thru the bird genders...

Playing with rubber duckies and plushy toys for quite some time now...Boo Dilution and Gender in Birds...other types of colour genetics and such...

Just having the childhood I never had you know!
wink.png

All sorts of posters for the Exhibition Poultry Clubbers...
tongue.png

Displays at schools, shows, and sales...

Yeh...I'm always ready to crow about the poultry fancy, eh?

Here's something new I did up today...the wallet and purse bird gender demo!

So BOY bird wallet at the top left & the GIRL bird purse on the bottom right...I switched out a blue bow for the pink one...yeh!

Boy Bird on the Z chromosome...
The Z chromosome holds the following potential gender or sex linked genetics in BIRDS:

- Barred or Cuckoo - B - series
- Chocolate - Choco - series
- Dwarfism or Bantam; dw - recessive bantam | rg - recessive bantam | Z - dominant bantam
- Id inhibitor of dermal melanin
- K - K-series - late feathering
- Female Lethal; Bernier Lethal | Prenatal Lethal | Lady Killer
- Silver / gold - S - series; Silver plumage / gold plumage
- White skin / yellow skin - W - series

Now of course the Girl Bird's purse...the W chromosome...that holds NOTHING so that one was about up to my speed for today!
tongue.png

Girl Bird on the w Chromosome...

The girl purse is "M" "T"...like my concentration skills in my skull sometimes!
old.gif

Andy Rooney:
So here you go...for all you Smarty Pants jumping ahead of the class. Trying to stampede the herd on me...be careful or I'll get Fixins on that. She always bites before she asks questions!

Hmmm---wanna progressive series, eh? I would not always be willing to follow where I lead--find yourself plunging off some pinnacle into an abyss...screaming yer lungs out all the way on down and out!
roll.png

Here is an article I wrote (and one pic) and had published in the Feather Fancier way back in 2009. So there...wanna go ahead...then I will make TEACHERS outta you SMART ones! Dealing with teaching others...especially children, yer mind goes much quicker to mush...mushy mush! And there should be NO pondering any further on how I got to the mental state that I currently reside at...
yesss.gif

I have never seen anyone else use Lego blocks (nfi) and plastic Easter Eggers to teach genetics but the hands on approach really really works for some people. I mean that...six year old boys GET THIS! So I may have been the first to be insane enough to try it...but I do hope many others continue to use this method because simply said...IT WORKS!

EGG KEY:
Blue phenotype = genotype one black and one silver/white block.
Silver phenotype = genotype of two silver/white blocks.
Black phenotype = genotype of two black blocks.

MATERIAL LIST:
- Easter eggs: 2 large blue, 4 medium blue, 2 medium “silver” (green), and 2 medium “black” (pink or purple even). Make sure all the eggs will be large enough to hold combinations of 2 to 3 blocks.
- Lego (nfi) blocks: Size four pegs with two across: 10 blue, 10 silver/white & 10 black.
- Lego (nfi) blocks: Size two pegs by one peg across: 6 blue, 2 silver/white, and 2 black.
- Black permanent felt pen to mark phenotype on outside of big and medium sized eggs.

Until next time…Blue Bird Says,

Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
APA-ABA Youth Program Advisor for Canada
West Central Alberta Exhibition Poultry Club

So there...a review on gender harvested...off this very thread.
ya.gif

So, I await your replies to the initial review questions...before I post any more genetics...may continue to post food and dogs, because well, uh...life goes on roaring here in Pear-A-Dice!

Later, eh.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Okay, I'll play. First, without cheating (from memory, not looking back for answers....)

How many shipped to yah hatching eggs did I say are required to get one breeding prospective trio from?
200+ (214)

Art

Rose

You can, just study for yourself

False (Ha Ha! - in correct form -- No, you're not!)

No

Last edited:
Heel low:

Quote:

HEY...Scott is always the one pulling the whole load...well OK, past a few other ones, see below. Yer turn DD...you can give it a go too...

Quote:
YAH...WISHER plays in the sandbox too....
woot.gif

So if'n Scott plays, that makes TWO...need four more...want six to play at answering the questions...

DD...you better play and make it three with half the numbers completed.

Yeh, yeh...I know genetics and methodical poultry keeping--puts us all to sleep...come on!
cool.png

Come by and play....
ya.gif

In Alphabetical order and am sure I missed a few...but calling out some tagged yah's to come on by read the last page back and answer the questions... Don't need to call Scott, DD or Wisher...they're here! LOL For some persons, been a while not seeing them on BYC...so what the hay...new year and woo hoo, eh!
tongue.png

@Amberjem
@Arielle
@Blackhorsehill
@bamadude
@Bunnylady
@chickadoodles
@chickisoup
@chipperchicken
@CynthiaMQ
@Northie
@Lacy Blues
@LindaB220
@lularat
@ronott1
@subhanalah
@Teila
@tnspursfan09

A lot safer READING from post 2082 than the torture the exhibition poultry youth endured...fingee painting!
lol.png

Posted this on the thread back in Sept 2014...post here again for those that wanna review...

Poultry Plumage Pigment
Copyright; Tara Lee Higgins - March 24, 2008:

Always one duck in the bevy that wants to stay and play too long...get wrinkly webbers, eh?
Hey DD...recall this one of Fixins...and her turkeys...
love.gif

Middle of September 2014

What I found most interesting...recall, easily amused...is that I just took the last of the oat straw from the second of five oat straw bales AND I counted up the one side of the Hay and Straw buildings small squares...got fifty squares stacked up on that side.

Oct 18, 2014

Looking back, hauled in 120, so we used up 70 squares

Oct 21, 2014

And two large round bales of oat straw...outta the five we hauled in.

Put four away in the barn and one out in the Ram Pasture (that one is near all used up).

Wasn't sure back then how it would work out getting rounds in straw but has been really great.

October 2014 - Cute group, eh!

So here's the state of the round straw bales as of last night...

Gonna open up this third one and still have two and fifty from the original 120...nice.

Bit of a cool snap...so of course...

Haul some bedding

Not sure why we bother...

Can't even get it inside the ewe barn without them chawing on it

Feeder is right fulla green alfalfa hay, but we'd rather eat our beds!

So long as the bedding is thar!

That warm RED glow...har har har!

Dogs and food...feel good food!

Shwimp...

Shrimp in honey garlic sauce with bell peppers, green onion

Jan 7 - Delicious!

Breaky yesterday...
tongue.png

French Toast & Bacon...

Last night...
lol.png

Mixture of rices, beef & broccoli and honey garlic chicken veg

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

I am thinking about this
Scott
Sorry about the delay. This is the 1st day of above freezing temps in several days.
I was dealing with several over 30 critter pens that don't have heated water.
The time and labor to get liquid water to everyone twice a day just about wore me out.
I have to rethink just how many birds we really want to work with, or spend a pile of money for heated water pans

How many shipped to yah hatching eggs did I say are required to get one breeding prospective trio from? over 200, and I would think even more.

Breeding poultry is a science and a what? Art

What comb type did some judged at a sanctioned show Chanteclers have? rose or pea, I just don't remember

Would you never succeed at this Fancy if you did not have a mentor? a mentor could help, but not necessary for success.

Are you a lost case and a failure if you do not seek out a "jury of your peers or equals" to judge your breeding birds? Not in your opinion

Do you have to exhibit your poultry to be a breeder that follows the words found in the Poultry Standards? No

Scott (who hope that you get your 6 answers)

Thank you Scott!

We are on our third week of -25C & lower (never mind the wind chills, those are now in the -40's) and my tired out part is all the fluid water I haul to our pens has to be smashed out before the new stuff can be used to water them...sigh! That's why the hill behind the Duece Coop is now a level walking area...if you dare balance on the ice piled up...hee hee.

That makes TWO persons playing along (thank you so much you two...steady reliable great players!)...need FOUR more participants. I love the answers we are getting but if we don't have MORE persons willing to participate, you're letting myself, Scott and Wisher down. NO fun playing solitary in the sand piles, eh.

Four more people here better post replies to the questions for a total of six players. I know that many just read and lurk but not if we are gonna have me make the effort to post the genetics, animal husbandry means & ways, and other gobbly gook. Four more people post answers to the questions...or Scott is doomed to be hungry...not filled up with anything of substance...or so I figure at best!

I got a bunch of photos itching to get posted again on barring/cuckoo (lotsa colourful lined up versions and comparing one dose to two) and comparisons of blue dilution to black with red pigments too...but no matter, not wasting my resources because it costs Rick and I money to upload materials, eh. Gotta see this warranted & earned by at least six in total...investments must reap results, eh.
tongue.png

Kinda up to the BYC crowd to get it going on...I know I have...LOL

Gotta fly (and that is a sight for sore eyes...me flapping arms to get off the ground...)
D.gif

Heel low:

Birds...love them...a bit screwed up at times seasonally speaking but hey Teila...you got warm weather at yer place?
somad.gif

Jumbo is 70 grams...so 281.8 rounded up to 282 grams is...
Four JUMBO sized eggs...kewl
cool.png

Pearla Girla gave me this...at -28C ... expecting another five more...kinda silly really but whatever...she's obviously on Aussie time...LOL
smile.png

Had a visitation by two lovely wilds...
love.gif

They blend in so well.
wink.png

Might miss seeing them if they were not bouncing about loosening snow off the branches!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

Birds...love them...a bit screwed up at times seasonally speaking but hey Teila...you got warm weather at yer place?
somad.gif

Wanna talk about the weather? Let's not and say we did!
wink.png

Oh OK, yes, it is hot as H&%$ !! ... 7AM in the morning and it is already 80F with a relative humidity of 90% .. predicted max for today 93F [we hit 95F yesterday] minimum last night was 75F, apparently we do not need sleep
sickbyc.gif

Chookies are a little on the warm side but hanging in there with lots of TLC from mum.

Back
Top Bottom