JG vs. Orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChicknThief, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Ok, so I know that I am getting way ahead of myself, but in the next couple years I will be picking my BBS Orp project up again. I want to utilize this time to plan and figure out what my strategy will be for creating a line that is set apart.

For a long time I have been toying with the idea of putting a nice typie Blue Orp roo over a flock of black JG hens and seeing if that will improve the size and type of my Orp flock. I chose JG because they have the same comb type, as well as darker legs, much like the Orp. Also, their greater size is something I find attractive. Once those chicks hatch, I would cross them back into the pure Orp line and continue tweaking/breeding/culling until I get the desired result.

My question is this. Do you guys think there are any potential genetics problems, or other issues that will arise that I am missing? What do you think I might be able to expect from such a pairing? Would I need to get black JG hens from a BBS line, or will the same genetic rules (in regards to BBS colors) apply for regular black JGs?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

There are many many many quality Orps already available. I believe it would cheaper for you to purchase some of those.
    Read in you APA Standard of Perfection book. There are numerous differences. Just a couple here:
    Male tail angle: 45* in Jersey Giants, 25* in Orps
    Color: Shanks and toes:
    Jersey Giant: Nearly black or dark slaty blue, with a tendency toward willow; black preferred. Underpart of feet, yellow.
    Orps: Leaden blue, bottom of feet and toes, pinkish white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by