Jody LOOK! I found photos of Bantam Mottled Orpingtons.

One of the orps I gave away was mottled. It was the crew I got from westernchick that had the yellow legs. Three of those chicks legs turned white after a few months...but the two I kept were the two that got killed by the dog
sad.png
Anyhow, here is the one I gave away...I'm going to ask her for a current pic. When I gave him to her he was even more mottled than this. He was beautiful! Now I wish I would have kept him
sad.png

Mottledorp.jpg

Quote:
No as I understand it the feathered shanks would breed out rather quickly but it is something you will have to cull for for a while but that is easy as feathered shanks will be on the chicks at birth. I think using Cochins to create Golden Laced, Silver Laced, Partridge/Blue Partridge and mottled Orpingtons would be the simplest way to do it.

Last edited:
Quote:
No as I understand it the feathered shanks would breed out rather quickly but it is something you will have to cull for for a while but that is easy as an feathered shanks will be on the chicks at birth. I think using Cochins to create Golden Laced, Silver Laced, Partridge/Blue Partridge and mottled Orpingtons would be the simplest way to do it.

I tried this experiement with a LF Cochin hen (heavy foot feather) and a Barred Rock rooster. The first chick had leg feathering, then I took the pullets back to the father. None of there chicks had feathered legs. There were a few stubs here and there and that was it. Everyone says how hard it is to breed out, I just wanted to find out for myself. I might of been just lucky for two generations, but when working on a colour its going to take that or more to get your colour/pattern you want.

Quote:
No as I understand it the feathered shanks would breed out rather quickly but it is something you will have to cull for for a while but that is easy as an feathered shanks will be on the chicks at birth. I think using Cochins to create Golden Laced, Silver Laced, Partridge/Blue Partridge and mottled Orpingtons would be the simplest way to do it.

I tried this experiement with a LF Cochin hen (heavy foot feather) and a Barred Rock rooster. The first chick had leg feathering, then I took the pullets back to the father. None of there chicks had feathered legs. There were a few stubs here and there and that was it. Everyone says how hard it is to breed out, I just wanted to find out for myself. I might of been just lucky for two generations, but when working on a colour its going to take that or more to get your colour/pattern you want.

Chris you are right. I hatched chicks from Cynthia's Suede and Caroline (Blue Orp/Buff Brahma) and the feathering on the shanks was very minimal so I agree I think it is a pretty easy thing to breed out, and by using the cochins you get the loose feathers and SUPER fluff that you would not get from a Wyandotte. Do I sense and Barred/Cuckoo Orpington the works?

Quote:

Chris you are right. I hatched chicks from Cynthia's Suede and Caroline (Blue Orp/Buff Brahma) and the feathering on the shanks was very minimal so I agree I think it is a pretty easy thing to breed out, and by using the Cochin's you get the loose feathers and SUPER fluff that you would not get from a Wyandotte. Do I sense and Barred/Cuckoo Orpington the works?

LOL, No I sold them. I should of kept them though. One thing with the Cochin breeders I have talked to they are always working on keeping the foot feathering good. So I totally agree with what you are saying about the type and fluff the Cochin would bring to the table. Im more of a solid colour kinda girl. Maybe I'll work on some eventually, but with the bantams (orps) I can work with now,Im staying with the two colours Im working with to do LF and bantam. I think I would do them justice by not taking on to much. I also have the blues, blacks and whites so my pens are full with these guys. DH keeps just shaking his head. I have built more pens for the bantams and thinking about expanding more for the LF. I think this is a disease LOL.

But how many more generations have you bred from these lines. There is the potential, from what I have heard, for them to throw feathers on the shank or stubs for quite some time. I have never bred a clean legged bird to a feather legged, but I dont think it is as simple as you two have made it out to be. As far as the patterns, I would think that using wyandottes for some of the patterns would be easier, or even using sussex, but thats just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom