Joining the World of Guineas

chseeads

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Bloomington, Indiana
I picked up these 5 assorted colored little guys tonight.

Guineas.jpg

My sister had guineas in the past. I never had any that were mine personally before. She had pearl and lavendar, and I can't remember if any white or not....

Can anybody tell enough from that pic to guess what color these are?

I kinda think it may be 5 different colors....

Is the front one a pied? The stripes on its head are solid. So it wouldn't be a purple would it?

The front right is a buff dundotte maybe?

Would the other dark one be pearl?

The one in the very back, I dunno what to think exactly.... It has the one wide stripe with one thin stripe to each side on its head....

The other light one then has two thin stripes on each side of it's head.... Lavendar?

Or what.

lol

Last edited:
Here is one site that shows the colors. http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/colors/

I
tend to like this one better, because I think it shows better keet pics. http://www.shadyhollowfarm.com/keetid2.html I guess it would be harder to get to, because you actually have to click on each pic, but they are large and close up.

From what I see, it looks like the very back one is possibly a Powder Blue, the one directly in front of it is a Pearl, I think the one in front is a Royal Purple. I think the light one between the 2 dark ones could be a Lavender. The front light one, I am not sure. I am wondering if the light is showing it blue, when it is more brown, and maybe it is a Buff Dundotte?

Anyway, I agree. You have 5 different colors. The one with the white I don't think is pied, because it is in a specific pattern. not more splotchy like a pied is.

Shelly

Cool, thanks for the opinions.....

I tried looking at a color chart last night that is posted in another thread on here....kinda hard to say for sure sometimes...lol

The right front one does look more brownish in person than the pic shows. Its feathers that are coming in are a buff/tan/beige color.

You have two lavender, one pearl (the big stripe on the head is the give away), one brown (whether it is buff or dun), and the one that has the white on the sides on the head.......

That one is a suprise and it is fairly rare.
I believe it is a slate. Could be a pied though too.

Either way, you are going to be thrilled with this group.

Keep em' warm and feed them Game bird at about 4 weeks on.
Chick Starter for the firsrt few weeks is fine.

Purples have white colored wings.

Quote:
Is it really? I used to hatch hundreds of keets that looked exactly like that. I had pieds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom