Joining two "feral" hens with the flock in the run

Amc29

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
SW Oregon
In addition to our main flock, we have two "feral" chickens we obtained from a friend. We have had these two for probably close to a year. Other than a night or two one of them spent in the coop (the other escaped and ran away into the woods for a day), they have refused to join the flock in the coop and have been roosting in a garden shed. They will forage around the main flock, but they stay separate. They are definitely at the bottom of the pecking order when they join in for feed and kitchen scraps.
About a week ago, the rooster that hung out with them (but separately roosted in a tree--the older rooster scared him out of the roost, it seems-- and also got along better with the flock) was nabbed by something around day break. Due to that incident, I took the opportunity I was granted tonight to lock the two hens in with the rest of the flock. They are not happy. The rooster seems to aggressively pursue them, the hens of course peck them. I won't be surprised if they stay in the coop tomorrow and avoid the run. How long should I give for the pecking order to work itself out? I almost wonder if I should have let them maintain their very free lifestyle, but I also don't want them eaten:hmm

Do you have an enclosed area for them to stay all day? It might help to keep them safe and also force them to socialize with the other chickens. For me, my two hens weren’t used to the rest either. They were especially afraid of our rooster and they would peck him. Over time, though, I feel as if our rooster has gotten accustomed to them. It should be fine just to let your chickens work it out themselves, but keep us updated!

I find it helpful to feed the entire flock together as well. After a while, they were able to finally establish their own pecking order! :D

The run attached to the coop is where they will be locked up to try to get them used to it. The rest of the flock has been locked up quite a bit lately since we need to fix the fence between their free ranging area and the upper part of our lawn (I like having areas without chicken droppings for our kids to play, and I am not fond of the middle-of-the-lawn dust baths). Those two have been spoiled and enjoying pretty much the entire property even when the others are locked up, so this is quite a change for them. I almost feel like I broke their (limited) trust.

It's going to take time...maybe several weeks or more.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Can you section off part of the run for the new birds?

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

We have had these two for probably close to a year. They are definitely at the bottom of the pecking order when they join in for feed and kitchen scraps.
About a week ago, the rooster that hung out with them was nabbed by something around day break. How long should I give for the pecking order to work itself out?
That arrangement is pretty common when you have two roosters in the flock. Each has it's own territory and its own harem. This is not a typical integration, but still not that different. The big risk when you let them out again is that they return to their feral ways. You are trying to train them to sleep in the coop. That may be a challenge.

My goal in any integration is that no one gets hurt. All that stuff about them being one tight-knit flock hanging together can come later. As long as no one is getting hurt things should work out if given time. I'd give them time for that. Your rooster will eventually see them as hens and not a rival flock which should make things better. Then it's a matter of them joining the pecking order.

They've known each other for a year, I don't see any benefit to housing them across wire for them to get to know each other. They've had a year for that. I can see two different possible approaches for you.

I think I'd just keep them all locked in the coop and run together until those two make their way into the pecking order. They may still spend a lot of time together but be able to eat with the others and maybe sleep on the roosts with them. Hopefully a week but I'd probably give them two even if it looks like they have integrated.

If they return to the wild to sleep when they get the chance I'd lock them in a pen in the coop for a while. It might take several weeks.

I've never been in this situation, not sure exactly how is best to proceed. But to me your goal is to train them to sleep in the coop instead of in trees. The rest of the stuff doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom