JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

Rex is the hope, or a medium sized mutt. Wouldn't mind a Californian. I'll let you know the exact dimensions of the cage when I get the parts in, I'm aiming for around 30 inches by 48 inches.
Rex are certainly pretty, and their pelts can be used for extra income. Keep in mine, at 8-12 weeks, the typical processing age, the skin is thin and the pelt doesn't have much value. You will need to raise them longer in order to use the pelts, which makes for a slightly less tender carcass. At the same time, because so much energy goes into that beautiful fur, they don't grow as fast as some varieties. All in all, they make a decent way of raising meat and fur.

Rex are certainly pretty, and their pelts can be used for extra income. Keep in mine, at 8-12 weeks, the typical processing age, the skin is thin and the pelt doesn't have much value. You will need to raise them longer in order to use the pelts, which makes for a slightly less tender carcass. At the same time, because so much energy goes into that beautiful fur, they don't grow as fast as some varieties. All in all, they make a decent way of raising meat and fur.
My plan is to raise them for meat and tan pelts for personal use. I know they’ll be thin but I’m sure I can find a use for that soft fur!

My plan is to raise them for meat and tan pelts for personal use. I know they’ll be thin but I’m sure I can find a use for that soft fur!
Try them at varying ages. I have no problem with a 16-20 month old rabbit for dinner. Some people prefer them at 8 weeks. See what works best for you. Best thing about meat rabbits is you get to eat your mistakes. :drool

Keep us posted on your progress. It's so nice to see someone with a plan who has put some research into their project!

Try them at varying ages. I have no problem with a 16-20 month old rabbit for dinner. Some people prefer them at 8 weeks. See what works best for you. Best thing about meat rabbits is you get to eat your mistakes. :drool

Keep us posted on your progress. It's so nice to see someone with a plan who has put some research into their project!
Might try that later on if I have a replacement doe or buck that doesn’t turn out as expected. I’m halfway decent at sewing and have a heavy duty machine so I can try some stuff without too much effort.

I found a breeder! Should be getting my bunnies on the 29th! Woohoo! They have standard rexes and Californians so I may get one of each. If I don’t like the babies from that pairing much they have a million bucks for sale around here.

I use to raise New Zealand Whites for meat, now I've switched over to standard rex. I raise several hundred a year. I have Black Otter, Blue Otter, Black, Blue, White, Castors, and Opals. I make more money on the rex than I did with the NZW's. I sell the meat, pelts, and manure, and have a hard time keeping up with production.

I may get a little attached.
Rex bunnies.jpg

Blue otter.jpg
Black otter doe with litter of kits
black otter and kits.jpg .
Processing some for pelts and meat. These produced an average 3# carcasses
Butchering Rex.jpg
Growing out some fryers.
Feeder rabbits 9-9.jpg

Oh, those are nice colors! That was the one thing I* wasn't a fan of for our harlequin when we raised for show. Only 8 possible colors. 9 if you included white Japanese which were DQs but had the prettiest pelts

Last edited:
I use to raise New Zealand Whites for meat, now I've switched over to standard rex. I raise several hundred a year. I have Black Otter, Blue Otter, Black, Blue, White, Castors, and Opals. I make more money on the rex than I did with the NZW's. I sell the meat, pelts, and manure, and have a hard time keeping up with production.

I may get a little attached.
View attachment 2654639

View attachment 2654637
Black otter doe with litter of kits
View attachment 2654638.
Processing some for pelts and meat. These produced an average 3# carcasses
View attachment 2654634
Growing out some fryers.
View attachment 2654645
Beautiful rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom