Jubilee Orpingtons

AsbillHomestead

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Missouri
My wife and I have a couple different flocks of chickens ranging from Australorps, Buff Orps, Silver laced Wyandottes, etc. I was just recently approached and asked if I would be interested in buying 3 (2 hens and a rooster) Jubilee Orpingtons. I haven't done very much research, but I know they're a pricy bird. Also, very beautiful. He wants to sell the breeding trio for 75$ all together. The chickens are right under two years of age and still laying. If I were to buy them, I'd be incubating the eggs. What do you guys think? Do you see a potential profit?

I see a potential profit if they are good quality birds. That is an extremely low price for a good trio. Have you seen the birds?

That's what scared me, was the price. I live in southwest MO, and in this area they normally go for about 150$ for a trio. But, I just think this family doesn't really know what they have. Their kids had these birds for show birds in 4h and vo-ag events. They have the ribbons and trophies and pictures to prove. I've seen them and they're surprisingly in GREAT condition. The kids just lost interest in them and mom and dad just don't want the extra chore. I'll see if I have any pictures of them on my cell phone.

Here's the rooster

Hopefully an Orpington breeder will chime in, but to my untrained eye he does not show real good Orpington type. You are correct in that he does appear to be in very good health.

To me he looks more like a Speckled Sussex than a Jubilee Orpington. I don't think that I would be investing in these birds, but I am not an Orpington breeder.

Back
Top Bottom