1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jubilee Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AsbillHomestead, Jun 18, 2016.

1. AsbillHomestead

AsbillHomestead Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    My wife and I have a couple different flocks of chickens ranging from Australorps, Buff Orps, Silver laced Wyandottes, etc. I was just recently approached and asked if I would be interested in buying 3 (2 hens and a rooster) Jubilee Orpingtons. I haven't done very much research, but I know they're a pricy bird. Also, very beautiful. He wants to sell the breeding trio for 75$ all together. The chickens are right under two years of age and still laying. If I were to buy them, I'd be incubating the eggs. What do you guys think? Do you see a potential profit?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I see a potential profit if they are good quality birds. That is an extremely low price for a good trio. Have you seen the birds?

3. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    That's what scared me, was the price. I live in southwest MO, and in this area they normally go for about 150$ for a trio. But, I just think this family doesn't really know what they have. Their kids had these birds for show birds in 4h and vo-ag events. They have the ribbons and trophies and pictures to prove. I've seen them and they're surprisingly in GREAT condition. The kids just lost interest in them and mom and dad just don't want the extra chore. I'll see if I have any pictures of them on my cell phone.

4. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    Here's the rooster

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully an Orpington breeder will chime in, but to my untrained eye he does not show real good Orpington type. You are correct in that he does appear to be in very good health.

6. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    So is this starting to not be worth it?

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me he looks more like a Speckled Sussex than a Jubilee Orpington. I don't think that I would be investing in these birds, but I am not an Orpington breeder.

8. bufforpfarm

bufforpfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Yeah thats not a pure jubilee wrong body type

9. RimmerFarm

RimmerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    I breed Orpingtons in various varieties including Jubilee. That's a Sussex not an Orpington. Sorry

10. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Well their eggs just hatched last week, still think their Sussex?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by