July 18th "Due Date"! Anyone else?

pop.gif
clap.gif
:lol:

My Cuckoo Marans, Lidia, laid the first egg yesterday, December 1!!
wee.gif

Any other July babies laying yet??
I wasn't expecting anything this soon (just shy of 20 weeks). Figured I may even have to wait until Spring, with my luck!

One of my barred rock pullets laid a wee tiny egg on November 29. It weighed 1.31 ounces. I got another one yesterday, but was not in the coop when this one was laid, so don't know which one laid it. A couple of the BOs have been squatting for a week or so.

Today is a very sad day for me. All five of my speckled Sussex turned out to be roosters and very mean roosters. One has been so mean since he was six weeks old, I have to wear protective gear to enter the pen. When we built a new coop three weeks ago and moved the others into it, I kept the five SS roos separate from the others in a dog run, which is within the electric poultry fence that surrounds the new coop and some pasture. I had to clip their wings to keep them inside, because they were determined to get to the other chickens and fight. I didn't clip the wings of the rest and somehow my favorite buff orp pullet, who always jumped onto my lap to be petted, got inside the dog run and the SS roos killed her. She died in my arms. That was the last straw. Today they are being butchered.

I'm sooo sorry to hear that!!
hugs.gif

That really is heartbreaking. I've grown so attached to my beauties...that would just devastate me.

All of the chicks in my order were sexed correctly as pullets, thank goodness!
Not only can I not have a rooster, I really wouldn't want one, based on how many of them treat their girls!
So sorry for your loss.
From everything I've heard about BO's on this site, I am certain that I'll have to have one in my life soon!

I think you should prepare a delicious coq au vin with the $%^&%'s and enjoy every bite of it!

BTW--my first egg didn't even move the needle on my egg scale (LOL). But when I opened it and cooked it, I was surprised that it made a pretty nice-sized over-easy. Enough to cover half a slice of bread.
Yum!

Sorry about your BO pullet Wildflower. Definitely send those boys to the stewpot!
somad.gif
Congrats on your first eggs. My chickens are all doing well. Out of 27, only 1 turned out to be a rooster (RIR). He is still around because he is very mild mannered. I received Leghorns and Red Stars in my order, so they have been laying for about 2 weeks, although they're not as regular as my other chickens who began laying in the summer. The other breeds haven't started laying yet. I don't add extra light in their barn and it has been very cold here (22 degrees right now) so they might take a little longer. Most are developing nice red wattles and combs.
smile.png
Thanks for the update!
wee.gif

I got two more little pullet eggs today, so more than one is laying. I have seven BR and three BO pullets, so it could be any of them. I don't add any supplemental light, but we have been unseasonably warm for so long that spring trees are blooming. We have had some nights in the mid-20s, but the days are in the 50s. At this time of year I wasn't expecting eggs for at least another month.

I too found my first eggs yesterday. I think they are from the red stars. Wildflower, three years ago I ordered 5 speckled sussex from McMurray's. They were suppose to be hens but three were roosters and all three were EXTREMELY mean. I had to get rid of them.

Last edited:
I'm getting 2 Sultans and 2 Blue Splash Marans from MPC this spring!

Unfortuantley, I have to give away/sell two, because I have no space for any more than 8 (and my 2 new arrivals aren't exactly within town code, either), but the 2 of each gives me the choice of the prettier, friendlier bird.

I'm maxed out on coop space, but have been so tempted to order chicks this spring!! Or better yet, try my hand at incubating hatching eggs.
But there's no way I can. Good luck with your new chicks--the waiting is the hardest part!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom