jumbo drakes too big for standard hens?

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
i have two male pekins, i think they might be the jumbo's but i dont know, i just know they are big big boys. im going to get two hens, and id assume since the ad didnt say otherwise that they are standards. if so, will my jumbo drakes be too big for the standard hens?

Quote:
I had a little mallard hen with my pekin male and they were just fine together. Idk if he was a jumbo or not but she was still very lil compared to him and I never had any problems. If I were you I would get more then two femals (I would get two for each male) if one male is really dominating he could claim both hens and so the other male would have none or he would fight for the right to a hen (and lets face it no one likes fighting) with two hens for each they may not feel the need to dominate each other. hope this helps

Two jumbo drakes and two standard hens might not be a very good ratio. If you had maybe four hens and two drakes, it could work out more safely for the hens. That's still not ideal, but much better for the hens, imo.

hmm, i was thinking i could get away with that because where i got them from didnt have a very good ratio of male to female, and she wanted to get rid of these two together only because they are like bestfriends and grew up together. i thought where they were buddies i could get away with it. she never said they fought over the females, they were just two large for the runner females she had.

Can you keep the boys and girls separated? I think you are asking for trouble. My drake is not particularly aggressive, but in the spring he gets a bit "active". I have three hens and one drake and he really can tire those girls out.

Back
Top Bottom