Jumbo Pekin from Meyer?

Tlammy

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
London, OH
Is it really the broiler duck of the duck world? Has anyone had these? Im worried if they have problems like broiler chickens. Thanks!
smile.png

Technically the Pekin would be the broiler of the duck world. They were bred to grow quickly but they still lay well. Butcher at 7-10 weeks. They sacrifice broodiness for these traits. I have never had Pekin. I breed Muscovy. They take longer to grow, butcher at 14-16 weeks. I've butchered drakes at 6 months and the are still DELICIOUS!!! Pekin, I'm not sure about jumbos, don't have the problems of cornish cross. I have not heard of these problems in Pekin. They will get lazy and VERY fatty if given alot of feed and little exercise. A leaner carcass can be gotten from allowing excercise and foraing. But muscovy are lean, much more like beef or veal.

Muscovy can fly, the females anyway. If that is a concern, clip one wing, no flying. Even those that are able will usually take a turn around the area and return home. They need to know where home is but if you raise ducklings and don't clip wings they are not going to fly off, never to return (barring predation).

Muscovy drakes can get huge, 12 lbs +, especially if they are of the French White production line. Females are much smaller, 5-6 lbs but great broodies and great mothers (typically).

I LOVE my scovy.

Back
Top Bottom