Jumbo plump fat juicy tender tasty quail

Quote:
I've only ever eaten the dark meat coturnix, and I personally am not fond of dark meat on lets say turkey and chicken...however coturnix meat is delicious...i wish i could have it once a week...and I probablyw ill be able to once spring comes.
smile.png

I can't tell you from personal experience on which you should try but if you're willing what about getting half A & M and half jumbo brown? That way youl'l have both white and dark meat?
smile.png

1. Its VERY rare for them to go broody it says everywhere its impossible but anything can happen, right?

2. I guess wire cages and a breeding group each and not in trio cages is prolly the cheapest way, and nipple watering system.

3. I'd say 1 male to 3-4 females you want to make sure the eggs are fertile, males will have blood baths if there isnt enough females or enough space if your doing colony breeding. When you want some meat I'd say incubate eggs and wait 2 months or so then cull them.

4. You can get whatever your heart desires lol, A&Ms are an all white meat bird, jumbos are dark, if you cross them both a friend told me you get pink meat.

5. im skipping this one lol

6. well if there lil wire cages you cant fit in them lol

7. quail can be as friendly as eating from your hand and as aggressive has scratching you till you bleed when you pick them up

8. NO WAY keep them with each other

if you have anymore ?s feel free to ask

Monarch23, you are a wealth of info. Thanks so much. Im going to be converting a three stall run-in shed into a quail pen and enclosing the overhang to use as an aviary. I was hoping that with that much space, 100-200 quail would be happy and not fight. Each stall is 12x14. I'll probably use the first stall for storage but the rest would be accessible to the birds. I guess I should incorporate plenty of branches for perching and nesting boxes. Can I just stack nesting boxes like you would chickens?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks im glad to help!!!

perches for the quails? If so, nope no need. Coturnix and Button quails BOth physically cannot perch. I know may be hard to believe but they physically cannot perch. I wish they could they could enjoy their enclosure outside a lot more than they already do.
smile.png

As for nestboxes, if you're lucky they will use them they lay on the ground so it woul dbe best to put the nestboxes on the ground esp in corners...but most peoples coturnix just lay them wherever because they really dont have that broody instinct. I dont personally know of anyone who's sucessfully had their coturnix hatch eggs (though i know people with button quails who've had success) this doesnt mean it isn't possible but i'd say it's just like how some breeds of chickens arent NORmally broody.

The set up im picturing sounds great though!
big_smile.png

Oh quail is so tasty anyone ship them frozen ready to cook. I am a big wimp and could never cull one I raised yap that's me wimpy wimpy wimpy!!
But sure can eat them all packed and ready to cook

Quote:
I thought about doing it for raw pet feeding owners, but the dry ice to keep them good is costly, and you need a certain amount of dry ice and that gets heavy...it's just insane how much it costs or i would offer that service myself.

And BTW, my coturnix have been as cold as 7°F inside my coop (15 birds in a 4x4' pen with only shavings) and are thriving. They need a draft-free house for the winter, but do well. If I give them a pan of sand to dust in, 99% of the time they will lay their eggs in the sand. Otherwise they just make little burrows in the corners of the pens to lay their eggs. They're hard to find in the shavings, because they tend to blend in.
I haven't gotten any of mine to set on eggs, so I incubate them. You can tell the males from females at 3 weeks old with the brown coturnix, so you'll be able to separate them before you put them in their permanent housing. They are SO easy to raise. I have seen them raised in the same coop as bantam chickens, but I'd be worried about them being picked on.

Darn that's too bad I will just have to go without
I can never get over the fact that there is no one selling at the farmers market. Maybe someday they will.

Back
Top Bottom