Jumping in from Everson, WA

Seven Trees

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Everson, WA
Howdy everybody!

I've read a lot on BYC, but due to time constraints (and running my own forum) have never registered and/or participated. But now I'm moving into areas of chicken-keeping that I need some advice with, so I figured I'd better ask the experts
wink.png

I'm a Seattle native, but after some life changes
roll.png
moved with my partner to the lovely land of Whatcom county, north of Bellingham, WA and a hair south of the Canadian border.

Even in Seattle, my family had chickens. I grew up with pet banties, learned how to avoid the mean leghorn rooster, and gather eggs from the cranky buff orps.

After having a nice urban life, it's wonderful to live where I can have a nice job in town & drive 15 miles to home in the country. We live on 1.25 acres, which doesn't seem like much, but we're learning to make the most of every square inch. The house is the original homestead cabin, very tiny, so there is a lot of space left for gardening & critters.

Right now we have 2 dexter steers, a shetland cart pony, 2 goofy dogs, 3 persnickety cats, and one evil parrot.

We've had goats, until I figured out that i hate goats. And I had a dexter milk cow for a bit (one of the steers' mom) until she didn't take with the bull last year and I sold her so I could take a break. Once the steers go in the freezer this fall, I'll be getting a cute galloway/shorthorn heifer to try as a milk cow (or maybe just beef).

And oh yeah - chickens!
The biddies (our laying flock)
4 cherry eggers
3 barred rock
2 buff orps

The pullets (born April 1st)
5 welsummers
4 production reds
4 delawares
3 barred rocks
3 buff orps
2 barred rock roos

There is a link to our blog with my profile info, if anyone wants to see our little place.
Looking forward to learning from everyone here, and sharing what I've learned.

-Joanna

WELCOME!!!! I am in the Madison WI area and we also enjoy a small piece of land (2 acres) outside of a (very cool and happinin') city.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom