Jumping In w/Both Feet: 12 Muscovy Ducklings and No Clue :D

BothFeetFirst

Hatching
Mar 26, 2020
I am, if nothing else, full of wild optimism. I have never owned any sort of fowl by myself before, I'm 25 wks pregnant with #2, and I just purchased 12 1-2wk old Muscovy ducklings - 1/2 for myself, and 1/2 to raise for my coworker who's husband has the tick-borne, alpha-gal (red meat) allergy. I have full intention of eating most of mine, saving a breeding trio or quad set for over-winter.

Now the part I haven't fully figured out and am struggling to find information on:

I have the ducklings brooding in a mobile chicken tractor/coop that is 4' x 6' at the base, double story. Total square-footage of the grazing area is 24sq'. These guys will not be able to free-range - although I do have 2 acres, my property sits in a "subdivision" and we have no fencing between properties, so stray dogs are a constant nuisance and I don't want the birds pooping err'where they please anyways. I have some time to build another tractor to split the group up, but finding what square footage will be needed for simply growing-out muscovies to their butchering weight, being moved 1-2xday to fresh pasture, is proving difficult. My thought was to build a 4'x12' tractor - Is 48sq' enough for 7-8 ducks on pasture?

Around 15 to 20 sqft per duck during the day and around 5-10 sqft per duck at night, bigger the better, going smaller will only give you more problems. Fighting, Disease, Waste Build up much more.

Around 15 to 20 sqft per duck during the day and around 5-10 sqft per duck at night, bigger the better, going smaller will only give you more problems. Fighting, Disease, Waste Build up much more.
Thanks for the welcome!

I understand those numbers are typically associated with a coop setup, but do they hold true for ducks in tractors? The reason I ask is that with meat chickens, one could house 2-3 (or more) times as many birds in a tractor because it gets moved daily. Along with the fact that these guys are going to be butchered in August/September and won't have even reached their full-grown size, I'm stubbornly leaning towards less space, LOL.

Thanks for the welcome!

I understand those numbers are typically associated with a coop setup, but do they hold true for ducks in tractors? The reason I ask is that with meat chickens, one could house 2-3 (or more) times as many birds in a tractor because it gets moved daily. Along with the fact that these guys are going to be butchered in August/September and won't have even reached their full-grown size, I'm stubbornly leaning towards less space, LOL.

Read this-

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2018/10/how-much-space-should-i-have-for-my.html

So based on that article, I think I'm going to build an 8'x4' tractor and split the group between it and my current one. If it gets cramped, I'll build a third, not a big deal.

IMG_20200325_175833.jpg

It's been a couple weeks and they are absolutely thriving in their mobile coop for now. Can't wait to get the second one going!

In the meantime, I've been feeding them fermented (non-medicated) feed, adding oats for protein, and niacin. They also have been able to forage every day for the past week and a half and are chunking out quite nicely. I'm trying to figure out how much fermented feed to give 12 ducklings. I know people say to free-feed dry food, for the first few months, but what does that translate to for fermented feed?

Back
Top Bottom