Jumping in with 2 feet, moving chickens, a few questions..

Sevenup

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
We, a chicken newbie family, found someone that will let us relieve them of their 27 pullets/layers and 1 rooster that are 5 mo old red rocks due to their move.
We have a coop and my husband is building a run to put them in temporarily to quaint them with their new home before we let them out during the day.

Tomorrow we will be moving them in an 6x10 enclosed trailer with hay on the floor (it will be dark in there)- could that really stress them out? We don't see another way to move them.

Is there anything we should be doing for them after arrival because of the stress of the move, it will be about a 3 hour drive home.

If we're expecting a big snow storm tomorrow night (up to 10 inches) should I lay some scrap siding on the top of their run for a snow free area outside or will they just stay in their coop during a storm?

I think they will be fine in the enclosed trailer. The dark should calm them. If you had a pickup and about four large dog crates, that would work too. You'll need some extra hands to help you keep them from running out while you load more in the trailer. Good luck!

Three hours is no big deal! The dark will quite them and when you get them home fresh air food and water!
I just brought two hens from vian, okla to smithville , mo in my back seat in a sterlite container...they did fine..when we stopped for dinner I watered them but only fed a small amount on the trip!
Good luck and post some pics when they are home and happy!

Do I need to try to give them coverage from the snowstorm outside in their run, (which is attached to the coop)?

Do I need to disinfect the coop- last summer someone else lived here with chickens in it.. What about the ground outside around the coop? There are still droppings and flying under feathers here and there..

Back
Top Bottom