JUNE HATCH-A-LONG come join in

My first I only got 14 live chicks out of 50 eggs and it took all week for them to hatch. and a lot died.
The second one I got 2 out of 52 eggs.

I just put 24 mutts in a borrowed hova-bator. Humidity is running 50-60%. Is this typical during startup? Looking at SportChicks post. Should I be on the highside of 100.5 with this still air unit? Another reason to look forward to Fathers Day weekend!

Between my two hens, we have 14 bantam Cochin eggs in the nest box right now. My favorite girl decided that it was time for her to be mommy. I tried everything to encourage one of them to go broody but like everyone said, they pick their time. I kind of hope that all 14 eggs don't hatch. I don't need that many babies. lol I think baby Cochins look like penguins. Hahaha!

Tank is the father of both sets of eggs. He's blue. One of the hens is blue, called Blueberry. I'm really hoping for some splash chicks. The other hen, the broody mama, is black. Tank and Suri hatched out three years ago July. They were my first and only hatch thus far and it was by a broody hen as well. She was sitting on seven eggs but only three hatched.

The approx. hatch date is June 13.

I guess I forgot to post this

I set 28 eggs from My LF Pure Light Brahma Hens and My Barred Rock Hens x Light Brahma roo on 5/27 after selling 5 pullets (2 of my Favorite chicks) due to hatch 6/17 or 18th
Though I am not sure of the fertility as the Roo had been in Solitary (14 days) due to Spurring a hen badly. So I have since added the Roo to a much larger Run, and added the 9 hens I wish to breed. I have to watch his spurs though......and when I am through hatching he will go back to a bachelor pad, so the ladies have a break.

I will candle on Day 10 for the shipped eggs which will be May 31st; and again on June 3 for the newly set eggs to check Fertility.
Thank Goodness I have several incubators and can use one for hatching......

Last night I recieved one pure Ameraucana egg and two Cochin X Ameraucana eggs. One of them has the possiblity of being a Brahma X Ameraucana but we're unsure.

There were several bantam Cochin hens, several silver bantam Ameraucana hens, and one bantam buff Brahma hen in with a silver Ameraucana roo. So, we'll see what hatches. They're due approx June 19.

OK, I candled
*day 4 of my 2nd batch of exhibition buff orps - put 15 i only one is not a definite fertile, we'll watch it a bit more.
* the 3 that were fertile from my first batch are due to go into lockdown on wednesday and all 3 still have good movement (from what I can see)
*day 3 of my shipped banty sammy favs - 8 in, 7 definitely fertile, other one we'll watch another couple days

Woohoo!!
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Today is day 7 for me. Is it too early to candle? And when I candle can I just use a really bright flashlight or do I need to make a candler? Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom