Juniper berries, cedar needles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caitybird, Jul 7, 2010.

1. caitybird

caitybird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Fort Collins
    I only found one other person asking about juniper berries and they had not been answered, so... Part of our chicken yard is underneath some old cedar trees so I am wondering if they berries and the needles that fall on the ground can have any detrimental effect. They don't seem to be eating them, but I can't be sure. One chicken has gone to laying every other day and is sometimes having bumpy shells, and this morning I found a really weird poop that was so large you'd think it came from a dog. It looked like there might be a little blood on the white part but I can't be sure if that's what it was.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:There are lots of different kinds of juniper berries, some are toxic, some edible.
    I don't think chickens will eat either junipers or cedar needles. But that's not a guarantee, they sometimes do dumb things.

Bumpy shells are just extra calcium, nothing to worry about.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/17/sandpaper-or-rough-shells

Watch the poop, if there is blood in it, it could be serious. Repost in the emergencies forum if it is bloody. But this also could be nothing.

Imp

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My chickens live with Western Red Cedar and Yellow Cedar and they are fine.
    They don't eat the elderberries either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by