Juno's First Egg~~Funky shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DoctorGoose, Dec 7, 2007.

1. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Songster

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Well, I think Juno laid her first egg today (She's a BR, born July 3rd). I couldn't find her this evening when I went to put up the rest of the chickens, found her down in the wash rack with TWO eggs--both of them with a semi-shell. The strangest eggs I've ever seen--they were transparent, pink, and crackly to pick up--kinda like dried toothpaste on a sweater. She seems fine, and I caught her and brought her back up to the coop, and showed her where the oyster shell was--and she attacked my fingers with the oyster shell! [​IMG] Strange chick, that one.

So, is it possible for her to have laid BOTH eggs? They weren't attached or anything--or is it possible that she and her hatch mate, Jupiter, started laying on the same day, with the same kind of shell?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. lyndatu

lyndatu Songster

Nov 13, 2007
    Hmmmm.............that's a pretty tough question......

I think it's Juno and Jupiter that have laid those eggs.........it's normal for first-time layings to be irregular. Some first eggs even don't have yolks! Their eggs will get normal soon after the upcoming layings. Yep, it's probably the two because I never heard of a hen lay 2 eggs at the same time, although it might be possible....... [​IMG]

Congratulations on the eggs! [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

When shes starting up, she could have very easily laid the two funky eggs. She'll get it down. No worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: