Just 1 that won't lay

taebuley

Hatching
Apr 8, 2020
Hi all,
I have 7 hens, each a different breed. They are all a year old within this next month. 6 of my 7 hens lay great, every day to every other day. 5 of the 6 laying started for the first time early this year when the weather got nice, and the other 1 started laying late last year. 1 of my hens, my blue andalusian has yet to lay. They are fed with chicken feed, all of our kitchen scraps and free range in a large fenced yard. She is not bullied and is one of my more confident and independent hens. She was the ring leader when they were little chicks. What am I missing?

So maybe her confidence and independence has led her to lay her eggs somewhere other than the nest box?
If you left them confined for a couple days I wonder if you will have that 7th egg.
Is her comb and wattle red like your other hens?
Hi all,
I have 7 hens, each a different breed. They are all a year old within this next month. 6 of my 7 hens lay great, every day to every other day. 5 of the 6 laying started for the first time early this year when the weather got nice, and the other 1 started laying late last year. 1 of my hens, my blue andalusian has yet to lay. They are fed with chicken feed, all of our kitchen scraps and free range in a large fenced yard. She is not bullied and is one of my more confident and independent hens. She was the ring leader when they were little chicks. What am I missing?
So maybe her confidence and independence has led her to lay her eggs somewhere other than the nest box?
If you left them confined for a couple days I wonder if you will have that 7th egg.
Is her comb and wattle red like your other hens?

We have found eggs around the yard from 2 other hens on occasion but they usually lay in the nesting box. But they were from our Starlight green egger and our golden sex link. I cannot find anywhere else for her to be laying. With the recent Covid pandemic we have spent a lot of time in our back yard landscaping and there is nowhere for her to hide them. We have locked them in for days at a time in the run and coop and still no egg. Yes she has a red comb and wattle like the others.

Are you sure she isn't a he? She also could be hiding her eggs or have a disease of defect that's causing her ti not lay

I feel pretty darn confident she is a she. She does not at all look like a rooster and was from a sexed batch of chicks where they only had pullet available. If she is a he she is significantly lacking in manliness, build and game with the ladies haha. But no really.... She is a she

I feel pretty darn confident she is a she. She does not at all look like a rooster and was from a sexed batch of chicks where they only had pullet available. If she is a he she is significantly lacking in manliness, build and game with the ladies haha. But no really.... She is a she

Then it's pretty likely that she's been hiding eggs from you.

Hi all,
DBB026B2-229E-4A44-AC0D-D7FD81148D08.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom