Just a bucket for water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JPichler, Jul 18, 2011.

1. JPichler

JPichler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    Hi All,
    This is my first post and I'm very excited to share that I got my first egg today. I will post my first egg picture soon, to the appropriate thread.
    I have many questions, but for now I'm thinking ahead a bit to the winter. I live in Wisconsin and we are below freezing for much of the winter. We have an insulated coop, so I hope that will keep my ladies warm this winter. I'm wondering what to do about water. Right now, I do have a large plastic waterer in the coop but also keep an open bucket in the run that I fill with fresh water everyday. Does anyone else just use an open bucket for water? It seems to work quite well and is much easier to fill. So my question is... could I use a steel open bucket on top of an electric base, inside the coop, to keep it from freezing this winter? Then I can just bring out a fresh pail everyday. Or is it necessary to use a fount type waterer? I of course want my girls to be safe, but I do not really have an appropriate place to fill a water fount during the winter mnoths. What type of waterers do you folks in colder climates use? And how do you fill it in the winter when outdoor hoses are no longer an option?

I have 1 ee, 4 RIR, 2 australorps, 5 bo, and 2 slw. And I think it was one of the SLW that laid her first egg for me today, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks for your sugestions and help,
    JPichler:)

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I live in Colorado where -30* is common in the winter, I finally gave in and bought a warmer, about $40 I believe, plug it in, but the waterer on top (I have a metal one) and voila...I still check it and sometimes have to remove the exposed water with my fingers, it will freeze a bit exposed to the cold air...

** to fill it, I carry water from the house if my well is frozen...we usually don't have that issue, but you can always lug a gallon of water out of the house...a bit warm, and put it in the waterer...I would not recommend a plastic one in cold temps, they may crack.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    we use a heated waterer in the winter, we have to run electric to it and it works quite well...

4. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't know anything about keeping water from freezing, but I would be concerned in keeping an open bucket of water in the coop. Depending on the size of the bucket compared to the chickens anyway. I lost a young hen in a bucket of water. I was running late that morning, so I didn't dump it out. I came down in the evening and found one of them floating.

5. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I use mop buckets and ice cream tubs. Never have had a 'chicken waterer'
    Works great for me

pam in TX

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I use a small stock tank with a submersible heater. I have blocks in the tank just in case one were to fall in. Works like a champ.

7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    They have heated buckets for horses that you can just plug in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by