Just a Little Update

CrookedWarden

Chirping
Jan 5, 2023
Howdy Folks,
Well, I figured I'd share a bit of progress with y'all on my endeavor into chicken raising.
My (our) babies turned three weeks on Sunday & are starting to flap around the brooder.
My wife & girls like to visit them daily & let them peck & crawl on their hands. One, in particular, is very brave & will readily perch on our hands when we make the "money sign" rubbing fingers together. Actually only one is really shy but, they all come running when I make mush from the feed & call "chicky cheep! chicky cheep!".
I try to limit this treat to every other day. They also have started flapping around a bit more & can even clear the lip of the stock tank which causes my girls to screech.
Unfortunately, this also roused the interest of our cats so I clamped 1x2s on top of the chicken wire to create a more secure cover.
The cover is in two parts, with a 1x3 across the tank & chicken wire stapled to it and then clamped under 1x2s along the tank lip. The side without the heating lamp has a frame of 1x3s (from an old project) and chicken wire stapled to it. I had a blink camera laying around so I set it up with motion detection & can tell when a cat decides to jump on the top. The look on their face when I fuss at them through the mic' is pure comedy. Getting up at 2:30am, 3am, 4:30am to the alert tone is not comedy. :lol:
This weekend I begin coop construction. They are getting pretty big & I hope to have them outside full-time by the 8 weeks at the end of April. Maybe sooner if the weather decides to warm up. I read a really interesting post here about automating the coop with a Raspberry Pi. I just happen to have a couple laying around so, the wheels are turning.
My wife is convinced we have 5 cockerels & one pullet. I'm more of a "wait & see" kind of guy.
Pics below of the setup (pardon the mess) & of the babies.

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpg
    IMG_8125.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8123.jpg
    IMG_8123.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 1
I hear ya about the cats! One of ours is happy to just watch the babies but the other thinks I put those cute fluffs inside just for him 🙄. Keep telling that one he's gonna be sorry if he makes them an enemy, obviously he didn't learn the lesson with our resident mockingbird going after his head! :eek:

LOL Mockingbirds definitely have an attitude. They are just "Come at me bro!!".
I'm not sure if our cats are just watching or plotting murder but, I'm not going to find out either.
I do think the dog finally figured out the chicks are friends & not snacks in an extra large bowl.

Our older Aussie wants to mother them, she's tried to clean butts, thanks but no; and brought them a dead gopher the other day 😵‍💫. She was so disappointed that I wouldn't give it to the (then 10 days old) chicks. My younger Aussie is scared of them 🤣.

I hear ya about the cats! One of ours is happy to just watch the babies but the other thinks I put those cute fluffs inside just for him 🙄. Keep telling that one he's gonna be sorry if he makes them an enemy, obviously he didn't learn the lesson with our resident mockingbird going after his head! :eek:
Both of our cats started afraid, now at 5 wks with coop in house (don't ask) both cats lay down near them and watch, haven't tried to attack them yet.

My dogs want to play with adult chickens, but labradoodles are too rough for them. They pull our tail feathers/skin, and then they get infections. They try to play rough same as their siblings. So we didn’t let them around the chickens on purpose after the first time. Two died from this.

Both of our cats started afraid, now at 5 wks with coop in house (don't ask) both cats lay down near them and watch, haven't tried to attack them yet.
Our brooder is in the house too, anywhere else we wouldn't get to socialize with them as much as they grow. I do close the door to "their" room at their bedtime, for their peace and mine 😏.

Back
Top Bottom