Just a quick winterization question...

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
The Chicken Barn is vinyl sided, so that keeps out drafts, but it's not insulated. There are 3 small windows (maybe 24"x24"?) covered in mesh screens to allow for ventilation...

What else should I do to winterize their barn? Any ideas? We usually have at least one snowfall by Halloween, so it's getting close and I'm worried about my birds
hmm.png

Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

If it was my barn I'd cut some vent holes near the ridge peak and cover the windows with some plastic or plexiglass. The windows work for a vent but they probably also will make a draft on the chickens.

Quote:
I did the same. I will take some pictures tomarrow. I found some small round screened vents that fit perfectly in the holes. I wanted to keep snakes and rats out
jumpy.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
Shellie, sounds like your barn will do just fine. If your window don't have glass and close, I would recommend covering them as well.

Your wild eastern will do just fine in the winter. Ours are outside all winter long and never had any problems. They'll trample through a foot of snow and make their own path.
smile.png

Be careful with letting the orpies out when we are in below freezing conditions. The males combs will frostbite, so I keep them in on freezing days. Once it's above freezing they come out to range. Their bodies like the cold, but the roos combs don't.
wink.png

The EEs do really well in winter too and ours free ranged even on the coldest days. Nothing seemed to bother them and they never got frost bite. They even flew from one shoveled path to the next to get to where they wanted to go. They're very winter hardy typically.

Be prepared to change out frozen waterers, if you aren't using a water heater. Lack of water can be really stressful and bring on conditions that otherwise wouldn't occur.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom